Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.2 Reposted to correct thread
- - By Duckwilly Date 10-24-2009 10:51
I work for a lighting company. We work exclusively with extruded and cast aluminum. D1.2 makes no allowance for pre-qualified weld joints. Effectively you are left on your own to establish your own WPQR's ,WPS, and qualify your welders accordingly. I have been welding for 20 years and recently made C.W.I.(D1.2 94% on code portion.) Having tip toed around this forum for a few weeks I have found few posts from members with respect to D1.2. Is there anyone out there who works exclusively with cast/extruded aluminum?I would love to pick your brain on occasion here on this forum.We plan to establish all of the relevant records and qualify our welders accordingly in the first quarter of 2010.Any do's,don'ts or absolutely @$##%$^ not's would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Duckwilly

Chris,

Thank you for the heads up on where to post this thread.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 10-24-2009 22:08
your welcome, good luck
Chris
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2009 22:58
Chris,

I spent a couple of years back in the early 90's chained to a workstation in the back of the shop and nothing was fed to me other than a steady supply of Aluminum and Magnesium castings... All for wide body aircraft..  Lots of big gear boxes.. Cascade vanes, buildups, broken lugs..  Much X-ray much post heat and massive distortion control fixtures.

Do a little bit of welder qualification and consultation according to D1.2...  \

Am willing to talk about anything you like.

Another forum member "Kix"  has pretty great experience with D1.1 procedure and performance quals//    He is busy of late but I'm gonna shake his tree about Skills U.S.A. so I'll mention your post to him If I can get his attention  :)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.2 Reposted to correct thread