Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / new lincoln low hydrogen
- - By tigrooter (**) Date 10-24-2009 21:43
Anybody used the new downhill lincoln pipeliner rods?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-24-2009 23:13 Edited 10-24-2009 23:18
What's their designation?
Are you sure they are "New"?
E7048 was introduced over 20 years ago as an ingenious solution to an irrelevant problem.
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 10-25-2009 02:34
Yeah if im not mistaken they are called DH 90 or something like that. I have a couple 10 lb cans in my truck. I have never ran them on a job but I tested with them for a job(yeah busted the crap out of that test   LOL) They seemed to run pretty smooth and the slag peels off just like regular LH but the rod doesnt dig or burn stuff out like HYP or 70+. They are not a real new rod though. I think they have been around for a few years.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-25-2009 03:36 Edited 10-25-2009 03:48
okwelder82,
Let me guess, you busted due to slag entrapment?
Year and a half or so back I posted an inquiry in this forum pertaining to E7048. I had to test some seasoned Union Boilermakers of whom several I knew professionally and to be good welders. 2 out of 14 passed
My tips for running this would be...

1) Avoid this rod at all costs!  Test on it only if you just want to brag to your buddies all about it, are really hungry, don't care if you flunk, your ex-wife or Dominatrix didn't punish you enough ("you're a bad, bad welder, kiss my whip!"), or the Repo man just hauled your rig out of the bar parking lot.
okwelder82, you say you've got a couple of 10 pound cans of this crap? Sell it to the first schmuck you can...tell 'em it's the best rod made since 5P++...tell 'em it's a welders best kept secret and is known as 10P+++ amongst those "in the know"!
2) Run HOT!!! Any doubts, turn it up 10 more! You will know if you are too hot if the rod is 1/2 way burnt, melts off and falls out of the stinger.
3) Grind between passes, until you're wore out. Then give the grinder to your helper and have him grind some more.
4) Use a really steep leading angle, just as if you were running Exx10 on pipe.
5) Work the (well ground) sides real good.
6) If you don't think it went in good...You are right ...It didn't. Repeat steps #2-#5 or save yourself further anguish and use step #1
7) If you think it went in Good...You are Wrong! ... It didn't ... Repeat steps #2-#5 or save yourself further anguish and use step #1
8) Use an old hood. Don't want to throw your good one across the shop and break it.

I remember back in the '80s? maybe reading about this in the Welding Journal and it was developed to bring the Pipeline Industry up to speed and allow the Down Hill welders something familiar to run, yet give the Metalurgists and Engineers their "highly revered" Low Hyrdogen weld deposits. It never took hold in the industry and I'm sure...because it is a SLAG TRAPPING SOB!!!

BTW I did run a sample 3G down and it bent. There were "indications" on all the straps...it bent..I swear.
This is based only on my limited experience.
Can anyone can honestly chime in and say this is their rod of choice. If so okwelder's got a deal for you....
Parent - - By tigrooter (**) Date 10-25-2009 18:36
Thay are in the 2009 lincoln product up date. They must have changed the coating formula. Pipeliner LH-D80
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-25-2009 19:46 Edited 10-25-2009 19:54
I just wish Lincoln would give me only 10% of their R&D and production budgets for down hill lo-hi. I would save them millions. I'd throw everything they had pertaining to this subject in the trash , fire anyone who who crossed me and recommend to the Board to let other manufacturers deal with this concept. "If any one else should be successsful in this endeavor I move we invest in them only after they have a proven track record of..." get my drift?

Copied from Lincoln:
E8045-P2 H4R DC+ Pipeliner® LH-D80 is a low hydrogen high deposition electrode specially designed for the vertical down welding of pipe. It is recommended for fill and cap pass welding of up to X70 pipe, as well as pipe repair and hot tapping applications. For low diffusible hydrogen, high productivity and operator appeal—choose Pipeliner® LH-D80.

I really like the "operator appeal" ... Wonder which R&D lab tech came up with that!

The inherent nature of lo-hi fluxes is simply TOO MUCH SLAG that retards digging penetration to be effective in a down hill progression.
When Down Hill Pipeliner Welders purchase these xx4x electrodes out of their own pockets for their PERSONAL USE. I'll change my stand on them.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-26-2009 02:08
I USED 2 RODS OUT OF MY 10 LB CAN, GAVE 2 RODS TO A BUDDY. HE USED HALF OF ONE AND THREW THE OTHER AT ME. DAMN ....IT HURT.
I THREW THE $HIT IN THE TRASH CAN! JUNK!!!! I HOPE SOME DOPE DOESNT WRITE A PRECEDURE USING THIS JUNK ROD.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 10-26-2009 00:07
Actually, these are hardly new.  They have been around for at least five years (Lh-D80).

Griff
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-26-2009 02:26
No they haven't, this rod has only been out about a year.
Lincoln has had many versions of DH LoHi over the years but the rods out now are completely different than those that they made in the past.

And there have been several procedures written, and used for those rods. They've been used in mainline construction over the last year or so with pretty good results.
It always cracks me up a bit when welders say "I can't run these rods, they MUST be junk"! : )

But they are being run in a few places just fine.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 10-26-2009 15:02
I was given a sample by my LWS 5 (five) years ago,  Lincoln  LH-D80. This rod was not even listed by Lincoln at that time.

Griff
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-27-2009 00:06 Edited 10-27-2009 00:08
I had probably 30 lb of those little sample packs, and might have one or two still around someplace.
But that is a completly different rod than the new(er) DH LoHi that (as I said) came out about a year ago.

I hate to repeat myself, but Lincoln has had a version of DH LoHi out since before my time. But the current rod really has little connection to those that have gone before. The price really doesn't relate to earlier versions either.

I really don't know how to make it any more plain than that. The original post was asking about the "new" Lincoln DH LoHi, discussing the rods they had out 5 years, or ten years or fifteen years ago has no real relevance to the question asked.
If you doubt my take, just contact Lincoln and ask them. You can also buy some of the "new" DH LoHi and use it. The differences are pretty large.

JTMcC.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-27-2009 03:00 Edited 10-27-2009 03:18
What is their designation?
Parent - - By LEengr Date 10-27-2009 14:15
Please see the previous thread:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=17886

Aka explains the new design and classification. (unfortunately he no longer works for Lincoln) The old electrodes were called Lincoln LH-DXX. The newly developed electrodes are called Pipeliner LH-DXX (no Lincoln part of the name). They have been redesigned and are very different from the old electrodes.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 10-28-2009 01:06
That is correct.  They are the ones to which I referred.

Griff
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / new lincoln low hydrogen