Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / thieves stealing welding equip.
- - By GRB (*) Date 10-25-2009 12:54
theres some thieves in the Searcy Ark. area hitting welding rigs pretty hard. They hit us for over 5 grand last week. Their selling the items around Searcy saying their out of work and need to sell some of their tools.anyone in that area thats been approched cal me..918-839-4137..Russell Benefield..sure would likre a tag number and description
Parent - - By LongArc (**) Date 10-25-2009 16:11
You need to hang them by the balls. Times are hard I hate theives.
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 10-25-2009 19:07
I lost my leads, cold weather extension cord and remote last week from right in front of the motel loby.
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 10-25-2009 19:08
Those thievin' bastards are everywhere ... we have some here , too . My buddy lost 400' lead and torches and ... well you get the picture . And some other guys around here local have been hit .   We all know that times are tough , but thievin' is thievin' and it won't be tolerated !  I say bring back the guillitine for thieves and courthouse hangings for murderers . This crap would come to a halt ! 
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 10-25-2009 19:49
pypLynr, I totally agree you steal cut there hands off.....I met a guy once from china who said they would cut you're hands off if you stole and that should be the way it is. I know one thing if i catch someone in my garage trying to steal my welder and tools there will be no need to call the police I'll just called the coroner to bring body bags. This messed up world we live in if they don't die they'll come back and sue you're *ss in court, not sure how it is in other states but Louisiana and I think Florida supposely are some really sue happy people here. Lazy don't want to get off there lazy *sses and work.

sorry little venting here
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-25-2009 20:07
It is also an Islam tradition(it appears to be law). From what I understand, if the requirements of theft by stealth ar met the hand is cut off at the wrist. Second offense gets the other one cut off. If you are enough of a thief that there is a third offense, it is death. (I think they cut your head off since you ran out of hands..not sure though)

jrw159
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 10-25-2009 22:11
... Clint Eastwood for president !!!  
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-25-2009 22:18
I am with that. To hell with the trouble of cutting their hands off. Just put one good hole in them and the problem is solved.
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 10-26-2009 01:29
Yup, JRW. Much quicker, with alot less wailing.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 10-25-2009 22:19
OH YEAH PYPLYNR!!! From what movie though? JOSIE WALES!!!
Or the actual man? Great respect for the actor as well!!
Course, John Wayne is dead. Damn It!!!!
Ronald Reagan too.
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 10-25-2009 23:43
I was thinkin' 'Dirty Harry' , but Jose' Whales would do . LOL
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 10-26-2009 00:02
I do like the thought, but since the thieves can't be shot, it would be fun for the person they stole from to get the chance to make them work for a while. Just think of the jobs you could come up with for a lazy thievin' ****head
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 10-26-2009 00:26
Honestly , that wouldn't work either . Unless you let them stay with you at your house ... so you can watch them every minute . other wise they wouldn't show up and if they did  , they'd steal more !  Theft is a curable issue at a young age .
   I still think the guilletine would work well . 
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 10-26-2009 01:23
Josie would shoot them as soon as he considered them a threat. Freaking BANG!! Dang, you appear lifeless!!
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-26-2009 05:42
Was thinking Gran Torino Clint but yep Josie got em right between the eyes then spit on em lol.   We have had the copper thieves too and someone got some of my leads out of the barn.  They caught some of the copper thieves but best one was the one they caught fried electrocuted on a pivot sprinker someone forgot to tell the druggie the power was still on duh. 
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-26-2009 02:09
Ecclesiastes 8:11:
   11Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

It's tough when you work so hard to make enough money to buy tools, supplies and equipment and then some sorry thief steals in minutes what took you days, weeks, months or more to accumulate.

We are moving into another shop 5 miles from our old shop and have already been hit twice. It does get old.

Has anyone ever had the police catch the bums and return your stuff??
Not me. That's what bothers me, when you see you've been hit you know it's gone for good.

With money woes and overflowing prisons I guess the police just don't have the time, money or inclination to pursue the crimes.
Here in NC we are letting death row inmates and violent lifers, 27 total, (murder, rape, child rapers) out unless our guv. stops it. They say crime doesn't pay but for some it does. At least in this life, not in the next one.
http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/6274867/
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-26-2009 09:14
Actually twice Once in our old shop. The Thief entered by removing screws in the corrugated wall and slid in, I just so happened that the place of entrance was the wall our Angle Rack was located in the squeezing and crawling He lost his wallet.
The other was in the newer shop and when He went to pawn some of the tools he gave the guy his I.D. and as he reached into his bag for some more to place on the counter the clerk confiscated the ID and then informed him of the report that these seemed to be on his list They have video of one of the worlds dumbest crackhead thieves giving one of the best oh crap looks and grabbing his bag and exiting, left his ID
The reason he got caught is before the pawn shops opened they had a fax waiting on them with the serials numbers of all the power tools stolen,
You see with the crack problem we used to get hit all the time. In the shop the welding machines and leads are now behind heavy expanded metal cages. And we have Motion Light, microphones, cameras with infrared illuminators and motion sensors. Be fore the system was installed we lost a 3 Welders, over 1000 feet of lead Between the 18' Isuzu truck and all it was over 50 thousand they did catch them, The were professionals taking cold galv spray paint and covering all the places their prints might of been.
But swsweld  I believe you got it, the loss is intimidating enough try to not let it harden your heart, God will settle it all in the end 
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-27-2009 06:48
Russell, 

Tell your compadries staying in Beebe to keep it locked up and right in front of the room door.  I notice a lot of the inspectors/kodack shooters have set up shop in Beebe.  There are bad thieving problems there as well.  I live close to Searcy so if anyone offers me some "deals" I will let you know.  I had a wildcat and some very nice Starrett layout tools stole from me in Searcy a few years ago.  Overall its a decent quiet town, never had any problems when I lived there....but like anywhere else there are crackheads, liars and thieves or combination's thereof.  Good luck with finding your stuff.

Tommy
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 10-27-2009 17:03
Hey Tommy is there any pipeline work availible around there? I keep hearing about that area and was wondering if you knew any thing or anyone that could help.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-27-2009 17:59
THere is work but how much is "avaliable"????   I am working on aircraft right now so I could not give you a good answer.  Some 798 guys are up here but I don't think all the work is Union.  Many independents up here doing rig support, compressor platforms etc from what I gather.  I do know they are popping in so many wells, with the terrain around here it will take a long time to connect it all up.

The fella who started this post probably has the skinny on it.  I am pretty sure many members of this forum are working it, so somebody here can tell ya fer sure. 
Parent - - By GRB (*) Date 11-20-2009 11:46
thought those in the Searcy Ark. area would like to know their still at it..they stole two machines this time, a SA-200 and a classic 2 diesel with leads over in Rose Bud Ark. this last Monday..they hit us on a Monday night as well,
Parent - By dfwpipeliner (**) Date 11-20-2009 21:22
I was in Searcy for over a year.  A lot of druggies there but a descent small town overall.  Lots of work there but they also use lots of poly pipe.  There was a yard up near Conway with stacks of poly pipe.  NOT GOOD for Welders
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-26-2009 02:34
I walked out of the motel in Liberty, MO this morning. I had 4'' of lead on the positive and about 6'' on the negitive. When calling around for new lead prices I found out that scrape copper is up to $1 a pound, so LOCK UP YOUR LEADS.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-26-2009 02:53
In our area scrap copper is about $2.30 per pound last I checked.[about a week ago] Is your price a misprint?
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 11-26-2009 03:11
At the place I'm at, before I started here, I heard that someone had cut the lead into one foot lengths to steal the copper from the leads which were locked on spools.

I was thinking to myself, "Man, you have to be pretty desperate to pull that sh*t!"
Parent - - By preston davis (**) Date 11-26-2009 03:19
theives got both our 5 ton ac units at our machine shop tonight. you just cant keep nothing safe
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-26-2009 03:47 Edited 11-26-2009 03:49
"you just cant keep nothing safe"

Big mean dogs, firearms and the willingness to use both to your advantage. :-) Bumper stickers that say "I don't call the law until it is done."

jrw159
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-26-2009 04:27
My cousin used to have a sign on the door that read:

THESE PREMISES PROTECTED BY SHOTGUN 3 NIGHTS A WEEK
                    YOU GUESS WHICH 3
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 11-26-2009 17:15
dave I like that I'll have to remember that one.

I see alot of you guys with the spool of wire, it seems like there is some kinda box or something you can make to slide over the spools to some what protect them from getting stolen. I mean it isn't full proof and probally a pain in the a** but better then nothing

and there is the whole rig up the box so that when they do start tearing into it the shotgun goes off and kills them now you must have a very short barrel for better spread so it will really spray them
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-26-2009 18:54
Chris and others;

Setting up a gun to go off as some sort of a booby trap is a federal crime.  It is called a "Set Gun". I have been told that it is a crime just to have the fixture in place, even if the gun is not in place!  ( Possession of the gun that fits into the fixture, is considered to be "Constructive Possession" of the device.)  Please do not do it.  If you want to protect your box in that way, get one of those automatic "Mace" bombs that can be legally set up in your tool cabinet.  (Found in the back of gun magazines.) It doesn't kill, but if you set it up with a silent alarm, it should incapacitate long enough for you to confront and hold the thief for the police.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-26-2009 19:18
I wonder if you can buy "pink bombs" like the dye pack that banks use? That combined with the pepper spray would be a sweet combo for the a$$holes. While they are coughing, shoot'em, put a knife in one hand and your spud wrench in the other, let the cops sort it out from there.
Sorry, had to rant...a theif that steals a working man's tools deserves the utmost in retribution!
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-27-2009 18:18
They have put that dye in anhydrous ammonia used for nitrogen fertilizer and in  anhydrous cooling systems to mark meth thieves stealing it to make their goods.  It works too they always get some on them.  You would probably want to let local law enforcement know you had placed dye packs around your business.    
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 11-26-2009 19:18
Joe thats not a bad idea for the mace bomb.

I had heard of someone doing the thing with a shotgun because of someone kept stealing the guys car batteries

it's ashame our laws are to protect the bad guys.
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 11-27-2009 14:31
I used to know a guy who was working a single hand job and another guy got in his lunchbox one day. The guy I knew said that next time it happened that there would be a surprise waiting for him. He put a rattlesnake in it. No more problems.
Parent - - By wagon83 (**) Date 12-01-2009 23:35
I had my leads stolen two times last summer. I got rid of the reels and built two lead wells in the bed. I used a 3/8 plate for a cover with some heavy hinges to open and close. You have to make sure you use a puck lock to lock it up because as i found out a regular master lock can easily be busted off. I have not had them stolen since.
Parent - By welderjack (*) Date 12-04-2009 14:23
i have my leads on my pole with 2" pipe sticking up 8" with a hole cut in the pipe so i can run a cable in the holes and lock them. i have not them stolen yet but i have drove down the road and had my lead pole swing out where someone has tried to steal the leads. i have help one of my buds build a box on hinges to go over his lead racks cause he stopped at wal-mart and he when came out someone was trying to take his leads 
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-09-2009 04:25
Dave, Had the same sign. Works well
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 04:42
We had a welding machine hanging from the crane hook as we typically do. Someone backed their pickup under the hook and tried to release the drum brake to lower the welder into the truck bed. Unfortunately for the thief the soil was sandy and he got stuck when he tried to drive away with the welder.

Come Monday morning we saw the welder in the truck bed and the truck stuck in the sand. We lifted the welder all the way to the boom head, released the brake, let the welder free fall into the truck and then called the police.

The thief didn't come back a second time.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-09-2009 04:52
It is a shame to wreck a machine, but You were going to loose it anyway.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 18:40
It was an old machine that had seen better days. It was due to be retired. Instead, it went out in a blaze of glory and went to the happy land where 40 young aircooled virgin welders awaited it.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-09-2009 18:48 Edited 12-09-2009 18:51
I love a happy ending!
Should have filmed and posted that on Utube.
It is a shame that an innocent truck had to suffer the consequences of it's miscreant owner....
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2009 19:03
The truck was the accomplice in this act of terrorism. They were trying to kidnap an innocent welding machine. The truck was killed in the act of commissioning the crime. It was suffering a broken back and internal injuries when we arrived at the site on Monday morning. The headlamps were dimming and the horn was barely audible. I thought the first cop to arrive at the crime scene was going to have to put it down with a bullet to the distributer, but it passed on before that decision was made.

No, the truck was no innocent victim in this case.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / thieves stealing welding equip.