Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDE Level III basic
- - By dmilesdot (**) Date 10-26-2009 16:27
Any advice from the elders?  I am taking the basic next monday at Hellier.
thanks
Dave
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 10-26-2009 19:03
I'd recommend getting the LEVEL III Study Guide from ASNT for the BASIC test

link:
http://www.asnt.org/shop/merchant.ihtml?pid=1092&lastcatid=3&step=4
Parent - By mroach (**) Date 10-30-2009 19:02
Get well versed on SNT-TC-1A, CP-189, & CP105. Study up on materials processes & controls and real familiar with the 13 methods of testing.   Good Luck!   MR 
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-01-2009 01:12
This is not meant to be a smart aleck response - but if you are taking the test next Monday, it's too late to learn much of anything new. 
From your participation on this forum I figure you probably have studied well for this.

I have not taken that exam myself but I have taken many other exams.  What works for me is to review my materials, cram on areas I think I'm weak in, do a quick review of everything the morning of the exam (I study best at 4AM - you must have your own best time to do that) - then leave it alone.

As I said, from reading your posts, I think you don't have much to worry about - you will do well on the exam.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-01-2009 13:11
Best advice I can give you is read the question and understand what's being asked. A lot of folks choke on the time limit, relax and answer the best you can.
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 11-01-2009 18:01
Its 4 hours for 135 questions or 1 3/4 minutes per question. I have sat many multi-choice question papers and my preferred method is reiterative, that is on the 1st round through the questions I will only mark answers I am 100% definite of the correct answer, any I do not have an immediate answer to I leave it for a later round. I hope to answer more than half the questions immediately on the 1st round - these are then "bankers". Next (2nd) round I'll spend a bit more time reviewing the question and answers and will knock out definite incorrect answers. Maybe another question on the paper answers this question, maybe my memory and reasoning are in a slightly higher gear, so I hope to pick up 1/2 the unanswered questions from the 1st round on the 2nd time round. By this means I have not wasted any time puzzling over questions I cannot answer rapidly. 3rd time round and I'll resort to elimination, low cunning, guess work whatever I can to harvest a few more marks. With 5 minutes remaining I ensure I have left no unanswered questions - any I find after 3 rounds without an educated answer then I'll do the odds and make a random answer with a 25% possibility of being right.

If you have a reasonable subject knowledge then this method should bring success. Good luck!
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 11-04-2009 10:48
Thanks to all the well wishers.  We are three days into the class and I feel a little better about whats coming on Monday.  By the way, Who does Neautron Radiography.....really? So far of all the methods I have learned about, this one is "out there".  At least I understand the principle theory, but in the real world this method is out there.  I guess I just dont see a guy or gal working their way up from a level I to do this method.  Capturing neutrons, moderating them focus them???? It just doesnt seem like an everyday, go to work, set up a piece on the work bench and do  some neutrons.
Dave
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-04-2009 12:24
"Who does Neautron Radiography.....really?"
I have done Nuetron Radiography. 99.99% of the time, it's the sole realm of DOE and DOD contracts.
It's not as complicated as it sounds in the book.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By nosetackle (**) Date 11-05-2009 04:00
when i was taking my basic course and basic exam, i met a guy from canada. he was in nuclear industry and he told a lot about neutron radiography. if you are not in the nuclear industry i think you will not see it in real life at all.

Basics exam was the hardest among all. because the books were not accurately written, and as a metallurgist i can say there were some misleading handicapped information was given regarding metallurgical topics. i hope they are already corrected.

also, dont expect many questions from unusual methods. if there are questions they are really easy question you can solve at first glance. common method questions are tough and specially metallurgy !

Good Luck
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 11-18-2009 08:58
Thanks to all who offered advice.  The test was a 11plus on a scale of 1-10.  But I passed! Thanks again to all who offered advice.
Dave
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDE Level III basic