Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spot Welder Power Settings...
- - By datsun280zman Date 10-26-2009 20:03
I`ve got a spot welder I`m trying to use for thin stainless sheet. (.020") Problem is, it`s way too powerful and there`s no adjustment. I`ve been looking at some way of toning down the power and was wondering if I can use a variable speed control device for controlling the input voltage. The welder is a 110v AC. Would this work?
The owners manual that came with it stated that for that gauge of steel the switch should have to be depressed for 2-4 seconds. I can`t hold the switch for more than 1/4 sec without blowing holes through both pieces!
Any help appreciated.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-26-2009 22:50
I don't believe putting a variable rheostat on the input voltage will allow it to power up properly the output is what you need to play with.
Parent - By datsun280zman Date 11-03-2009 20:19
Thanks for the answer :)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-27-2009 02:34
I don't think You would hurt anything by trying, but get the most robust controller You can find. I think Harbor Freight has a 20 amp  unit. These work by delayed starting each half cycle of the AC output. This will reduce the magnetic field in the spot welder's primary as You suspected it will, but it is a non-conventional aproach. Let us know how it works out.
Parent - By datsun280zman Date 11-03-2009 20:19
Thanks for helping me out.   Haven't had a chance to play with it yet as I've been on a trip for the past week, but I'll definitely keep you posted!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spot Welder Power Settings...