Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / The Ocean Corp.
- - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-26-2009 22:24
Any of you injspectors ever heard of this school they are out of houston texas and i am thinking about attending. It is a 71/2 month long course and it covers VT I & II,PT I&II,MT I&II UT I&II  ET I&II RADIATION SAFETY, RT I&II, RIGGING,ROV, REPORT WRITTING, PROCEDURE WRITTING,ISOMETRIC DRAWING, WORK PLACE SFAETY AND WELDING. all are suppose to be according to ASNT AND THEY OFFER JOB PLACEMENT ASSITANCE AS LONG AS YOU REMAIN IN THE INDUSTRY the cost is 15,000 i have all but been approved for grants and loans to take this course just wondering what your guy's input is on this school. I HAVE BEEN WELDING FOR YEARS BUT ACCORDING TO THE CATALOG THEY TEACH YOU THE DIFFERENT PROCESSES OF IT AND WELL I DONT KNOW THEM ALL SO WHAT THE HELL.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-26-2009 23:56
If you get approval for the grants....GET ON IT!!!! :-)
jrw159
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-28-2009 04:44
hey john my phone got turned off today so send me an email if ya need to talk
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-28-2009 10:15
Will do partner.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 10-28-2009 05:48
They've been around for several decades as primarily a diver training school. The relevant question in considering a NDE course(s) is "Who is the Level III and what's his reputation in the inspection community?" I'll nose around and see if I can find something since I've worked with people that have extensive contacts in the ASNT chapter here in Houston. Somebody else may know offhand. And not to damp down your enthusiasm, but that's an awful lot of training to absorb in 71/2 months. It takes technicians years to obtain Level II certs in PT, MT, UT, and RT, IOW, its a lot like going to a welding school, it gets your foot in the door, but it still takes a bit of time to become a turned out journeyman welder. Anyhow, getting your foot in is a worth while goal, the field is definitely not going to shrink anytime soon, and for anybody that's detail oriented and conscientious it can be a rewarding career.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-29-2009 00:19
all of the things i listed were in their catalog and it says 7 1/2 months level 2 tech its not NDE ITS NDT thanks for your help
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-29-2009 02:22
rafterg,
Some other things to consider.
As a resident of Texas, I would think $15K could get you an Associates degree at TSTC in Waco. A degree down the road would be of more benefit than a "fast track" training program in my opinion.
plus, you could get advanced training in GTAW and other processes.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-30-2009 11:09
your prolly right but with my leg the way it is im looking for sumthing to keep me from catching my clothes on fire and i have checked the job market and there are inspectors needed every where. and i dont have 2 years to go to school but thanks for your input
Parent - - By stkwldr (**) Date 10-30-2009 13:42
Are you SCUBA certified?  If not you could check into that first.  You may not like being in the water. If you do fine then you will have 2 things to be ahead.  A background in welding and a SCUBA certification.  A SCUBA cert. could be done in a weekend in the Houston area. 
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-02-2009 21:28
i dont need it for the ndt course and no i am not nor do i want it but thanks for your input
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-30-2009 19:14
Go For it Shad!!! you can always go back to further schooling later on if you need to... However, one thing that's really important to keep in mind, and that is to ask them what kind of tutoring do they offer if let's say, you're finding yourself not so confident in working the mathematical equations that will be required for you to do so in order to be competent to level II in UT, ET, RT and Radiation safety??? Then there is the english language technical writing aspect that needs to be addressed also... In other words, will there be sufficient tutoring after classes available for you in order to keep up with the avalanche of topics that will need to be covered if these courses are really worth their weight.

If they do not offer tutoring after classes, then a community college setting might be more advantageous for you Shad, especially if you haven't been in school for a while and/or haven't worked the math or practiced enough of technical writing recently!!! Otherwise, you may just find yourself unable to keep up with the rest of the class and end up dropping because there's no additional support for you to do so - CAPECHE???

So ask these type of questions, and if you don't feel confident enough that they will give you total support by the instructors, the administrators and not just the recruiters, then you may end up being left holding the bag because some recruiter filled your head with a whole bunch of misleading and not accurate information regarding the type of support you will expect from the school in order to insure that you succeed in the courses and graduate... So, a lot is at stake here especially if you're about to commit yourself to being in more debt than you already are partner!!! Make sure you get it in writing before you sign the dotted line to commit yourself to this school - that they guarantee they will back you up 110% by tutoring you if necessary in order to keep up with the subject being taught and covered!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-02-2009 21:27
well i use basic math almost daily but technical writting huh? why do i need that? but i did read in the catalog they sent that they do offer tutoring. ill be honest i wnt to take this but at the same time i am scared to death hell it took me 5 years to get out of high school common sense i am full of book smart i aint. guess i need to invest in a tape recorder so i can record the classes. and the other thing that scares me is paying my bills for almost a year ill figure it out but i know i want to do this
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 21:31
You need technical writing for filling out reports. The work isn't done until the paperwork is.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-02-2009 21:46
oh well just something else i will have to learn. hope you guys are prepared for 250,000,000 questions im gonna be asking to get me thru this
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 22:07
We'll be here for you Shad!!! Don't you worry about that!!! ;) ;) :) Btw, it's not the basic math that you're used to which is what I'm referring to Shad so, I'll send you some links as soon as I gather them up with some really good tutoring capabilities for someone to get a head start in preparing themselves for being familiar enough with the math I'm talking about so that you don't feel as if they're teaching you with the use of a foreign language. LOL!!! :) :) :)

So PM me to let me know what you found out so far with respect to financial aid because I'm still looking around for you, and I need some personal info that would be best answered privately - CAPECHE??? Don't worry you don't need to give me your Social Security # or similar personal information but, you need to answer some questions I have that can be misinterpreted by you as being personal, private and you may not want to share that in a public forum. So I'll PM you some info later because, it's time for me to eat Dinner, then take a  nap afterwards my friend! ;) I'll get back to you ASAP!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-02-2009 22:28
As far as funding goes i am quailfied to get 5350 from FAFSA, another 5500 from Alamo workforce soultions, and the ocean corp said i quailfies for 2 other loans but still gonna need 3 or 4,000 more to get it covered. send me a pm with the questions and ill answer them
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 11-05-2009 15:54
NDE = NDT
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-06-2009 05:05
i heard that school just givwes you a certificate of completion not a certification so im gonna check out another school and if it dont turn out to be what i want ill just keep working
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-06-2009 06:38
Just a word of caution when it comes to ASNT...There is qualification AND certification. You can be qualified with classroom hours, but this will NOT make you a level I or level II. Gots to have the the "hands on" hours for Certification.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-07-2009 20:48
delamr college in corpus offers the ndt couse with an internship and its 12,000 cheaper
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-07-2009 22:46
Is it close to you? If it is, then go for it!!!

Respectfully,
Henry

P.S. Today's my Second Birthday of each year I have been alive since my transplant, because after all - it was the day I was born, so I'm just taking nice and easy today buddy! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-08-2009 00:39
corpus is about 2 hours south of me happy birthday henry
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-08-2009 04:20
$12000 cheaper with internship! Now, that sounds like a deal. Plus! you can always do your homework on a beach towel in Corpus!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-08-2009 05:26
the water is grren and dirty unless you get further out i gottas find the paper work they sent that they need info on but i gotta call first and see what all they offer
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / The Ocean Corp.