Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Subsurface porosity acceptance criteria
- - By weldeng777 Date 10-26-2009 23:16
During a fillet weld break test I discovered porosity at the root of the weld which would be rejectable according to the acceptance criteria found in the code (D1.1) for a Class2 weld (no single pore with diameter greater than 3/32, the sum of diameters of each single pore found in 1 inch no greater than 3/8 and ¾ over 12 inches). The acceptance criteria refers to visual inspection of the weld, therefore to the porosity found at the surface of the weld visible to the unaided eye. Does the same criteria apply to the porosity found on the rupture surface of a fillet weld?  If no then what would be the acceptance criteria for subsurface porosity revealed by the break test.

Thanks
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-27-2009 01:24
weldeng777,
The acceptance criteria applies to surface and subsurface - see AWS D1.1  Cl 4.30.4.1 (2)
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By weldeng777 Date 10-28-2009 00:36
Thanks for your input Shane.
You are right, clause 4.30.4.1 does refer to acceptance criteria for a fillet weld break test but specifically for welder qualification purposes not for weld quality requirements so I am not sure that the same criteria applies. The question I have is does the same criteria apply for procedure qualification? The code doesn't specify fillet weld break test neither for procedure qualification purposes nor for random quality or welding process check of a weldment therefore no acceptance criteria exists for those situations. For qualification of fillet welds the code requires only macro etch which may not catch the porosity or incomplete penetration if it is not continuous along the weld so I prefer to break it but the chalenge I am facing is that no acceptance criteria specified in the code for that purpose.
What do you think?
Thanks
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 10-28-2009 11:39
weldeng777
Are you using a Prequalified WPS?
I take it you are not trying to work off of a prequalified WPS since you mention Procedure Qualification.
Basically read the Note D at the bottom of Table 4.4, I know you were saying Macro-etch, this is too easy.
If you are not working it off of either a prequalified WPS or one you have qualified you will need to qualify the consumables.
This requires a CJP groove weld test plate.
Hope this helps more than hurts.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Subsurface porosity acceptance criteria