Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWE certification
- - By bdawson Date 10-27-2009 12:36
I received my CWI certification Jan 2008. At that time I do not know if the CWI/CWE combination was available or not, I was unaware of it if it was.  My question is, I train and qualify all welders at my company, also teaching a few part-time classes at our local community college, and would like to have the educator certificate to add to my credentials.  Will I have to take the fundamentals and practical again to certify, or is there another way to update my certification.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 10-27-2009 14:47
Great Question! I can hardly wait for the responses. 

My understanding is that if you declare the CWE when you take the CWI, you receive it, if you pass and pay an additional fee.  No additional body of knowledge or questions on the exam.  It's the same.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it would be great if the AWS would clearly communicate this on the application.  I had no idea.  Is this ethical? Why wouldn't I spend another $500 for the CWE when I already spent $4-5,000 on the CWI?

Keith

Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-27-2009 14:56
http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/CWE/
If you are a current SCWI, CWI or CAWI, and you meet the Certified Welding Educator criteria outlined below, no testing is required for the CWE certification. Just simply:

Complete the CWE Short Form Application
Teach full or part-time in a classroom environment.
Hold a valid welder certificate.
Written recommendation from your teaching supervisor attesting to your teaching qualifications and ability.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 10-29-2009 13:49
Thanks for clearing that up!

Keith
Parent - By cwi49cwe (*) Date 11-02-2009 03:05
WACCOBIRD is correct..... But the CWE is only a feather to put in your hat, it's been my personal experience that it has VERY little meaning, I'll keep it current just in case one of these days it has a meaning, but I'll be retiring in 2 years. I taught for 17 years, adjunct, evening classes at Indiana Vocational Technical College and when the position came up for full time I was denied in favor of a very much younger person with a very limited welding background. I took all the classes at Indiana - Purdue extension for my NOCTI qualification to qualify for ADULT EDUCATION and had over a dozen welder quals including 2  6GR per ASME Sec.9, strong math, physics, prints, metallurgy and heat treat, and a 4 year apprinticeship, and 4 years involvement with Indiana BUSET - OSHA, all that prep wasn't good enough. Four years ago I started answering openings for welding instructors in 4 states, all said that without a teaching degree they would have to denie my application, something about BUSH'S "No child left behind" regulations and guide lines, I had to have a teaching degree from a credited college. At a college in south east Georgia had a great offer, the evaluation panal consisted of the librarian, an Engish teacher, dean of instruction and a psychology instructor, they said right up front they did not know anything about a CWE or NOCTI qualification but I didn't have that 4 year teaching degree. The 6 magazines articles I wrote and recieved writter of the year at the AWS show in Atlanta, didn't carry any weight. It surely sounds like I'm just a bitter old man, and your right, I paid my dues and spent thousands of hours learning and 30 years doing and these young tradesman today need a kick from experience, a helping and understanding attitude, they have no idea what is waiting for them out there.
Parent - By bdawson Date 11-05-2009 18:02
I thank you also, I've been unable to login for several days.  I understand there may be no weight to this, but would like to have ever feather I can get.  In todays industry ever feather counts.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWE certification