Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / 6GR Welder qualification-AWS D1.1 x ASME Sect IX
- - By Nalla (***) Date 11-01-2009 03:33
Dear Friends
Base Meatal - 4"x Sch 80, Weld Process - GMAW(Root) x SMAW
Root Pass by 6G Welder followed by SMAW using 6GR Welder.
I beleive my approach do not violate both the above codes inclusive of AWS D1.1 Table 4.10-Note "d"
Please advise if I'm right
Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-01-2009 10:52
If you are trying to comply with D1.1 you will need to have a PQR for that GMAW root.
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 11-01-2009 21:45 Edited 11-01-2009 21:49
Dear Lawrence
I'm using GMAW x SMAW PQR qualified to ASME Sect IX.Pls advise why must I have separate PQR qualified to AWS D1.1.
BTW it is pipe welding. The issue is about 6GR Welder qualification range.
Also advise if there is any prohibition by either codes, to use ASME Sect IX/AWS D1.1  PQR to do Structural/ Pipe Welding or vice versa
Thanks
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 11-02-2009 00:48
Unless I am mistaken AWS requires some form of NDT of test piece prior to tensile and guided bends, where ASME does not. If you qualified this to ASME, I wouldn't think you performed the required NDT to meet AWS specs
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 11-02-2009 07:19
Dear Lawrence
For PQR RT done and followed by Mechanical Testing.
For welder qual;ification RT is enough
Thanks
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 08:48
As long as your PQR meets BOTH AWS and ASME requirements you wouldn't ordinarily use a PQR qualified to one code to weld with another.  If, on the other hand your PQR meets all of the requirements of both codes then so be it.  6GR is AWS terminology as there is none such position in ASME IX.  What I've found from my own experiences is AWS typically has more restrictions than ASME so unless you're very, very careful you might have missed something.

Sorry, maybe its just that I dont understand, but you sound confused on a few issues.
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 11-02-2009 09:45
Dear Jon
Thanks for your caution
I'm using PQR qualified to ASME Sect IX.Issue here only about eligibility of using 6GR Welder to Pipe Butt Welds(SMAW) after root run by 6G Welder(GTAW).
GTAW-Root run serve as backing weld.AWS D1.1 prohibit 6GR Welder to do pipe welding in relation to Table 4.10-Note "d" only.
Pls advise if I'm correct? If it is not allowed by codes, pls guideme to the section.
Thanks
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 11:07
Nalla, it now makes more sense to me what you're doing but again caution is advised to make sure all tests are met.  Is this a structural tubular or actually a pressure pipe?

AWS wouldn't prohibit what you want to do as long as it is qualified.  ASME doesn't recognise the 6GR but AWS does and it's usually used for tubular TKY connections.  If using an ASME PQR for AWS work, it might be permitted as long as your Engineer of Record accepts it but again caution that the two codes are different codes and may have slightly different testing mechanisms or requirements.

I am very well versed in ASME and was once an AWS D1.1 Committee Member and have missed things myself when trying to meet both codes so again, just caution to check very carefully.

From a practical stance, what you propose sounds logical (at least for welding) just be careful about the small technical details!
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 11-03-2009 02:56
Dear Jon
Thanks
I'm not well versed in ASME Codes. Can you pls provide some guidance enabling me to refer and find info fast?
Best Regards
Thanks once again
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-03-2009 04:35
See Chapters QW-300 (all) and refer to applicable portions noted in QW-350 (series, depends on process) then read the applicable QW-400 variable, referring back to QW-100 Section for acceptance criteria.  There is no "quick study" if you will, it needs to be done methodically.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 11-04-2009 11:54
Jon's right.

Most of my mistakes are made when trying to squeeze a PQR from one Code into another, under the pressure of time.  It's like trying to find the last three questions of the Code Exam in the final seven minutes.

Good Luck,

Keith
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / 6GR Welder qualification-AWS D1.1 x ASME Sect IX