Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / B31.1 or B31.3
- - By mightymoe (**) Date 11-01-2009 04:27
Should there be a seperate section to discuss B31.1 or B31.3 codes or is it covered by another area in the forum?
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-01-2009 06:40
no, this is AWS forum, they don't have anything to do with ASME
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 11-01-2009 14:59
AWS CWIs' are called upon to work to ASME B31.3 every day in refineries all over the country.  Does the forum require a separate section? I dont think it does.  The questions that do come up are handled just fine where they are posted. 
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 11-01-2009 15:55
sounds good!
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-02-2009 12:58
We could do this.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 15:45
Just a thought, if you're considering adding another thread Ross, please think about maybe a more generic thread like ASME rather than code specific?  I can see AWS D1.1 having its own thread because its pretty much stand alone but ASME could have so many more sub-topics maybe better to keep it generalized, if added at all.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 21:50 Edited 11-02-2009 21:53
Actually Jon, it is posted as: "D1 Questions" so, it's generic enough that many queries are referring to AWS D1.1, D1.2, D1.3, D1.4, D1.5, D1.6 and D1.9 with D1.8 as a seismic supplement to D1.1... This is why many queries that don't have anything to do with AWS D1.1 are posted, yet may or may not sometimes refer to one of the other "D 1" codes which I just included in the previous sentence as well as "D" letter codes or standards with higher numbers following other than the number one if you read them from left to right. ;)

I do  however, agree with your point completely so maybe Ross could title it ASME as opposed to ASME Section IX because of how some provisions in ASME Section IX can in some circumstances be exempted as well as "enhanced", or the other sections may call for more stricter welding criteria or inspection criteria which is basically what I mean when I use the words: "Exempted or Enhanced" and it can be even more complex than the rather simplistic analogy which I have chosen to use in describing the intricacies and differences as well as the interaction and interweaving between each of the section found in ASME... In other words, one section can be a welding code, another could be code of construction and another one could be a code of inspection, etc.

So Ross, if you're going to add an "ASME" Section in here, then please follow Jon's suggestion because even though ASME is an acronym for the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the very same acronym is sometimes referred to as: " Always - Sometimes - Maybe and I'll defer to Jon, Gerald or Jeff  since they know it better than I do, to give the meaning of the last letter in the alternate acronym which is part of an old joke and I apologize for not being able to remember what the letter "E" represents in the joke LOL!!! :) :) :)  Could you help me out here Jon, Jeff Gerald??? LMAO!!! ;) ;) ;) I think that it'll be a nice addition to the forum! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry

Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 11-03-2009 04:23
Hello Henry, I think the word representing letter "E" is except and/or everynowandthen. I've seen it both ways in this forum.

The ASME thread addition sounds good to me.
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 11-03-2009 04:36
I agree that if added it should just be ASME otherwise there could be soooo many sub forums it would just muddle the place....
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 23:25
I think this would be a great addition as well. I know this is the AWS forum but many of us deal with ASME as well. I sure could benifit from information that this may generate. As for how it is titled, well I would say keep it general as others have mentioned much like the "D1" section so as not to exclude anything. But all in all how it is titled does not matter to me as much as the learning possibilities involved.

Just my two tin penny's for what they are worth.

jrw159
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-03-2009 12:36
OK, there's an ASME section now, just below D1.

Ross
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-04-2009 17:46
Ok, now how about API, AISC, PED, EN and ISO?

Just kiddin.

The ASME thread is a nice addition.
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / B31.1 or B31.3