Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Mirrors?
- - By phaux (***) Date 11-01-2009 16:17
For welding in spots you can't get to or can't see are there any mirrors out there that can take the heat of welding?
Parent - - By RUSSELL (**) Date 11-01-2009 18:02
Make one out of stainless steel and polish it real good.It is reusable also.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 11-01-2009 18:59
nice I never thought of stainless but that would be alot of polishing. What I use at work are there like some kinda plastic mirror you just take a clear polycarbonate lense to put over the mirrior to protect it some but useing it for a day all day they get pretty bad and you gotta picth'em i don't know of any that reallt hold up a while
Parent - By RUSSELL (**) Date 11-02-2009 05:32
polish it with metal polish(brasso will work)& buffer like for your car(you can get 1 to fit a 7" or9" grinder).then use a cover lens or plexiglass.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-01-2009 19:56
There was a real good thread on mirrors running week or two back, http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=166699;hl=mirrors
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 11-02-2009 21:41
I've used old car/truck mirrors, used to carry an extra one in my rig.  Nice thing about it is it gives a large view of the weld- something you don't generally get from the manufactured ones available which usually are only 2' X 4".  I liked the having the bigger view of things for perspective, and a wrecking yard vehicle mirror shouldn't cost more than 5-10 bucks.  Tape a couple of clear lenses over it as someone pointed out and position it as far away from the weld as you can and still get the view you need......Mirror welding.......jeez.....they better be paying an extra couple of bucks for that at a minimum.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Mirrors?