Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone Bought the November Hotsheets?
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 11-02-2009 20:40
Curious to hear if there is any real work and actual jobs being recruited or if it's just a repeat of advertisements and resume capturing not worth spending the 20 bucks on.  I'd be willing to boom out for a singlehand/pipefitting gig that was paying a wage of at least $25 hr, per diem, and a minimum of 60 hrs a week.  Additionally, any info/update on the OPD job in Wamsutter greatly appreciated- did they ever get the permits for additional hands, are hands falling off because of the weather?  Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-03-2009 05:17
The Hot Sheet!!!!
Maybe 2 years ago you could have found a job out of there, maybe.
About all it is any more is just an advertising tax write-off. You might have a chance if you purchased it online so you would have access to it B4 the rag hits the news stands, but you've already lost that edge for November. Maybe Thanksgiving weekend and subscribe on-line. Unfortunately, were coming into the "Dead Zone" of winter. you know, if you're not working yet....

I've never known of the hot sheet being of much benefit since the '90s. But that's just me...
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 11-03-2009 15:54
Yeah, you're right about it as an advertising tax write off for the companies and it was never a reliable source for rig work with the very rare exception, still, the "dead zone" of winter you reference provides opportunities to feed on the dying carcasses of badly planned and managed projects that have reached the last heartbeat of patience the owners are willing to extend to the contractors that have taken the job so far sideways they now realize the insufficient manpower and manhours they had hoped to maintane their schedules and bottom lines with are not going to get the job done and the only solution is to start gutting their greed fueled profit margins- which are probably allready falling off the spread sheets-by hiring more competent hands, often at the money they're worth and loading up the overtime to meet contract deadlines.  10 grand a day liquidation penalties compared to 50 grand a week payroll increases are a bitter pill for most project managers to swallow but a reality they can be forced to accept.  As a grizzled, 20 plus year veteran Industrial Mercenary, I never worry about finding work, but always keep my eyes open for opportunity- which in this context I define as $2500 a week bank- after taxes and expenses- on a 60 week, minimum.  I'll whore myself out for 2 grand bank, but less than that I aint answering the phone let alone packing my bags to go out of town.  Ya know, unless it was Hawaii maybe.
Parent - By tnhnt (***) Date 11-04-2009 04:39
Freeze your back side off up in Wamsutter this time of year!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone Bought the November Hotsheets?