Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / questions for the pros
- - By mcavana (**) Date 05-05-2002 14:17
Hello! I am seriously considering a career in welding. I would possibly be attending Tulsa Welding School. They say it would take 7 months of 25 hours a week to become a "Certified Master Welder" And they say that they are able to hook 96% of their graduates up with a job, averaging 40k immediately after certification.

I figure the best place to go with questions is the pros who know the real deal. So... Is a school like this the way to go? They say 40k. but is that working a whole lotta hours? (i live and would work in Jacksonville, Fl) It seems like a profitable, challenging, long term career... Is it? Come on guys (and gals) you were me once... what should I know????

I really appreciate your time... I will seriously study any responce to this post... after all it is my future!
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 05-05-2002 16:18
I don't know where to begin. Welding schools are o.k., but the only place to become a "certified master welder" is the school of hot slag and scarred arms. 700 hours of welding school is great, but it doesn't begin to get you good at welding. all you'll have is the time you spent in the test booth, so what happens when you go to work and you have to weld a joint that's 6 inches off the floor that's going to be MT'd? There's no substitute for real time under the hood.
40K isn't much if you break it down...About 850 a week BEFORE taxes. That's about 20 dollars an hour. I'm asuming that their job placement is shop welders. If you get into field construction, ie, Ironworkers, Pipefitters, Boilermakers, and Sheet Metal Workers, they make much better money than 40K...The money we make is only limited by the amount of hours that we want to work a year. Welding can be a profitable career if you're good.
Don't be cheap with equipment. Go out and buy yourself a good welding hood, a pair of leathers, a mill jacket, and some quality safety glasses. Most shools will supply most of the aforementioned items, but probably not a good hood...Make sure it's something comfortable that you could concievably wear 8, 10, or 12 hours a day without your neck getting too sore or your forehead hurting.
Oh yeah, don't get stuck learning just one process....they'll probably teach you how to run SMAW and GMAW...But don't stop there. Learn how to run GTAW, FCAW also... Get comfortable with each process you learn, because the more comfortable you are with it, you will make better welds. Learn how to run Stainless, Inconel, Monel, and other slightly more exotic electrodes, because the more you can weld with, the more money you'll make. I could go on and on all day, but I'll leave you with that.
Parent - By DaveP66 (*) Date 05-05-2002 17:06
I know the school you are wishing to attend. Are you thinking of going to the one in Jacksonville? or Tulsa. My friend was going to go to the one in Jacksonville because his aunt lived down the road from the school ( really cheap rent :) ) He soon found out that that is their new school and it was just a basic vocational school, it was nothing like the one in Tulsa, (unless it has changed in the past 2 months. We both spent 5 years in the Navy and that school was a recap of all we have already learned. The one in Tulsa was supposively really more advanced as well as offering the basics as well. If i were you i would get the lowdown again on the differences between the two locations, and if location permits, i would go to the one in Tulsa if you can.

David
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 05-06-2002 16:51
also, a lot of welding schools might not teach you about other subjects involved with welding. you might become a great welder, but will you be able to fabricate your own pieces from the mill and weld them together to make the final product? you have to have some knowledge of geometry, some math, and some structural common sense. if you're going to be working for a contractor, or a big company, these things might be provided for you...if you're working on your own, YOU might have to do it all yourself. welding isn't just welding...it can turn into a big production if you want it to. like they've said before, a lot of it is experience.
oh, and to help you out, up here in alaska on the pipeline, welders make $25/hr and on the average put in 168 hrs in 2 weeks...that's 88 hrs of overtime...i'll leave you to the math. they work 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.
good luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / questions for the pros