Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welding over existing welds
- - By kriskenmac (*) Date 11-04-2009 06:49
Can you weld over an existing weld?
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 11-04-2009 10:47
I can. LoL
It would depend on too many things to give an answer to that.
There are numerous thigs to consider and as I am heading to work in a few minutes I will just say we need more info.
Reinforcement, Weld Profile, Service, and last but not least code.

Good Luck
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-04-2009 14:21
yes, with permission.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-04-2009 23:55
It also depends on what axis one is going to deposit the weld in relation to the axis of the existing weld as well... So yeah! there are many factors to consider before hand, and a competent engineer will be able to consider all of the pertinent factors to review including the metallurgical aspects as well as the mechanical aspects with respect to the potential changes in the behavior & characteristics of both the weld & base/parent metal also. Lots of considerations for sure!!! :) :) :) LOL! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-04-2009 17:02
Kriskenmac,

The simple answer would be 'YES'. But, That would depend upon many factors, some of which Wacco already asked.  Also joint type, material, welding process, etc.

You can go over a weld for repair without changing the size using GTAW.  You can go over for many other reasons with other processes.

BUT, are you covering something up? Porosity? Cracks? Rough looking weld?  Correcting fillet convexity? Overlap? Undercut? ETC, ETC.  And is there a code and/or prints to be taken into account?

We need more info to answer properly. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-04-2009 17:05
Or is there an engineer that doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground that will OK it.  If you can get that approval then go for it!!!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-04-2009 17:12
Bryon, you really do bring another aspect into the question.  If an engineer or inspector had 'requested' more weld over something, for whatever reason, go for it.  Unless of course this could potentially increase cost and needs to go through channels to be sure of who is paying the cost for the additional weld.

Or has someone told the OP that the process being used is a single pass and you 'can't' go over existing weld?

So, for myself, I guess we are back to the premise that we still need more info.  Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-04-2009 18:38
putting on my engineer hat:

yes you can weld over an existing weld... but lots of factors come in play if you want it to be successful.

so the real answer is. Depends

also more weld doesn't always make it stronger. It often has the opposite effect
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-12-2009 17:47
Did you need an engineering hat to come up with that answer?

Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-12-2009 17:52
no, but it helps when welders try to blind side me across the back of the head.

safety first :)
Parent - By raptor34 (**) Date 11-04-2009 19:29
If you are talking about putting saddle pads/weld-o-lets I have seen it done to 1104and B31.3. I dont like to see it done, but my answer would be yes it can, just make sure with your engineer before you do something.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 11-05-2009 02:41 Edited 11-05-2009 02:46
"Can you weld over an existing weld?"

Sure you can weld over an existing weld.  Unless you can't weld to begin with because then you may struggle.  Another hindrance would be if you forgot to pay the electric bill or if you didn't have a proper ground. 
Parent - - By arrowside1 Date 11-05-2009 17:00
does the drawing call for a MULTI-PASS WELD? Width to depth limitations? code? cust. requirements? WPS?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-06-2009 18:28
Every multipass weld in existence is welding over an existing weld. Every weld involving seamed pipe is welding over an existing weld.
So in answer to the original post, ' God I sure hope so'.
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 11-07-2009 08:41
You beat me to it. . . . .good point!!!!  ROFLMAO.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-07-2009 10:43
js55  "Every multipass weld in existence is welding over an existing weld. Every weld involving seamed pipe is welding over an existing weld.
So in answer to the original post, ' God I sure hope so'. "

Yea

Tommy
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 11-07-2009 12:42
js55,
thanks for that reply. I was getting ready to turn in my "I are a weldor" badge and apply for a job down at the local Wal-Mart as a greeter :) because there are many Nukes that I have welded over existing welds. Of course I am just kidding. (about turning in my badge) :) I think you have nailed it with your reply. I am the same way "God I hope so" :)

Jim Hughes
Parent - By kriskenmac (*) Date 11-08-2009 22:59
Thanks guys !!!

very much appreciated!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welding over existing welds