Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Annex I question...Is it Low or Medium Restraint?
- - By vz776j Date 11-04-2009 21:13
I am not able to use prequalified rules for Minimum Preheat and based on my steel I have to use the Hydrogen Control Method I6.2.    Based on my Pcm being <.18 and my max thickness of 38mm and understanding that I will be welding small .13mm brackets to large 38mm plates, I am confronted with the question:  Do I use Low or Medium restraint? 

If I use Low Restraint I can weld this with any electrode and no preheat. 

If I use Medium Restraint I will have to use a low hydrogen electrode with no preheat but I will have to condition the electrode or if I don’t use a low hydrogen electrode I will have to preheat.

I will be MPI testing each one of these brackets so I should have the ability to detect cracking.

Which way do I go?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-06-2009 15:31
Based on the thickness of the thicker plate, I would simply weld it with low hydrogen practices (H2 if you are using E7018 or GMAW/FCAW) and consider it to be medium restraint. On the other hand I always consider a patch to be highly restrained.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Annex I question...Is it Low or Medium Restraint?