Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hypertherm helping its workers
- - By devo (***) Date 11-05-2009 11:49
I just heard a story on NPR about how Hypertherm is dealing with the recession.  They haven't laid off any of their workers, they have been putting them to work elsewhere in the company and training them on different jobs.  Granted, one worker they spoke with is now doing grounds maintenance around the facility, but it beats getting laid off.  They also mentioned Lincoln Electric and how their profit sharing has taken a hit, but no layoffs.  I took a tour of Lincoln during one of my welding classes, and those guys and gals work HARD, and get paid well, but doing boring repetitive piece work.  But 60K a year for semi skilled labor ain't bad.  Something to consider next time you are looking to purchase a machine.
Parent - By Regmanager (**) Date 11-05-2009 13:11
When I went to school at Lincoln years ago the instructor said that in the history or Lincoln, no worker had ever been laid off. They might have done a different job, but Mr. Lincoln cared about his employees. Pretty good record for the last 100 yrs and all the ups and downs in the economy.
If you want my opinion, you can not buy a better plasma cutter than Hypertherm. Unlike all the other brands, Hypertherm only makes and specializes in plasmas. Their machines cut circles around their closest competitor. The best product and easy to work on and repair. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Parent - By ross (***) Date 11-05-2009 18:13
Story is at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120097251&ps=cprs

Transcript or listen to it.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hypertherm helping its workers