Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tillman elkskin gloves
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-07-2009 06:30
I happened to notice on the cover of this months PG&J the welder using Tillman gloves. Seems I recently saw another guy.....oh, video online, also Tillman gloves. I've got a problem. See, when I'm welding the downhill pipe I tend to leave that left hand on there, guiding my 6010, darn, seem to do that on the 7018 cap as well. Then the sensation begins around the first knuckle in my pinky finger, then works down and has even gotten as far as my wrist. Unfortunately I'm to stupid to pull my hand away, thinking to myself, almost done with this weld, just a bit more, take the pain.....then I have flashbacks of boot camp. I've gone as far as blistering my pinky finger and my wrist from holding on just a little longer. Having a good laugh here thinking about how stupid that sounds........and will likely do it again monday when I get back to it! What the he__ is wrong with me?? Please tell me I'm not the only one?

So, question, I've read that the Tillman elkskins hold up better, less shrinkage, which I tend to do to gloves frequently and better heat protection.....or have they not tested gloves on someone as mentally ill as I yet?? I've read some comments on their website about the 850's sounds good but thought I'd inquire here first. They said expensive, I've seen around $22, not so bad really. I've actually been looking at the 875's, onyx. Any opinions? Do they fit the same as most other gloves? Are they sized about the same as other brands? Thanks for any info, even if it's as simple as, "hey stupid, move your hand!"

shawn
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-07-2009 08:16
LOL!!!   No Shawn your not the only one...or at least there is two of us at any rate.  I probably "shrink" more gloves then any one I work with....I put my hands where I need em ....gloves are a consumable as far as I am concerned.   Can't comment on the gloves your talking about tho....when I do heavy stuff or a lot of smaw I can make em last till I rub a hole in em or they stink too bad usually.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 11-07-2009 08:48
I don't know about less shrinkage but these are VERY comfortable gloves in my opinion.  I have used them a lot and I really like them.  They only have insulation on the bottom (palm side) of the glove also which makes them cooler to wear.  I think they're worth the extra money. . . . . . .but I'm a Prima Donna Golden Arm LOL.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-07-2009 14:15
I like them they are very flexible and comfortable. They don't have any insulation on the top of the hand so I modify my left glove with one of my old gloves to keep from blistering my left pinky also. I use a worn out Rt hand glove, cut the pinky and side of the palm out and use a little glue (shoe goo) to keep it on. works for me. They sell them at my LWS for $19.95.
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 11-07-2009 17:05
I wear the 750s  they have the padding on the back.  I ruin the left hand when I test,  not so much anymore in the field....looking for a left handed welder with same problem got a pile of good right gloves.  Any leftys out their got a pile of  Tillman left 750 large?

Smear a little RV silicone on the back side will get you a few more days use.

Anymore I get rid of the rod before my gloves get damaged but on uphill lo-hi when it's running good I hate to stop the second half of the rod is the sweet spot!
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 11-07-2009 18:55
Funny you should mention that, LOHI. I work with a south paw and the other day we were looking at our gloves and the light went on! LOL.
Anyway, I switched to the Tillman gloves after reading their advertising about no shrinkage. I can say for sure they last longer but my little finger has shrunk some. They have better flexibility as well.

Jon
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-07-2009 21:02
I hear ya! I was changing toolboxes on the truck today and cleaning a bit in the shop, right handed gloves everywhere!! Found a few lefties with a few more welds left in the. I have noticed though that a few places are selling just the lefty. Guess I'm gonna call my guys up in Nashville monday and put in a request, see if they can grab me up a pair. I like the idea about using your old righty to build up the left hand. I've seen those tillman hand pads with the aluminum foil on them but not so sure, could'nt find a place selling them for a price. Burns, blisters, the smell of flesh burning in the morning, God I love this work.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-08-2009 01:00
Shawn,

First off, I do like the elkskin gloves.  Very comfortable.  Good life. 

I also remember a welding supply I used to frequent that had a trash can sitting by the counter with nothing but left gloves.  Don't know where they got them but they sold lots of them that way.  You guys should ask your suppliers to see if they can find an outlet that will sell them to them that way.  If some around the country are doing it, they must be available some where.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 11-08-2009 02:41
Shawn the tillman with the ALUMINUM backing pad for the glove will really make you're gloves last a long time. Welding aluminum mig at work I use these shields for the glove and man they really help the gloves to last 3 times as long. There a little bulky at first but once you use the aluminum shield for a day they soften up more and are more flexible. Deffinitly worth the money. I think I maybe around 6 dollars for them but don't hold me to it. This company online here i have bought alot from them and I think they sell them if you're local welding store can't get them https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/browsecatalogs.pl?SIGNOUT
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-08-2009 03:19
You were right Chris, $6, gonna get a couple of those ordered to. Thanks for the link!
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-09-2009 22:23
I did just about the same thing from y days as an aluminum TIG welder. Oh boy it would launch so much heat off that you would scald your hands, and you needed thin gloves to be able to feed wire into the puddle. I remember several times, especially on cert tests, boiling my fingers until they were redder than a crab making ketchup.
Anyways I used the aluminized pads http://store.cyberweld.com/tibapad.html

and rotated them down to the "bottom" side of my hands where the heat was.  I assume the same would work for stick welding
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 11-09-2009 23:04
I use to have the same problem when I'd tig aluminum as well and really never thought about doing it that way.

Shawn not sure what weldingsupply is selling the aluminum pads at but cyberweld shows there like 4 dollars a piece but there are two different ones. I know that tillman makes one is a standard pad and one they make is a heavy duty pad and the heavy duty aluminum pad seemd to last a little longer I think
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-08-2009 02:50
I use the Tillman 650. They seem to last me longer than the 750. The Onyx is also good but, I prefer the 650. I also use a Tillman Cool Hand Pad. They will work wonders !
Parent - - By rondar (*) Date 11-08-2009 03:52 Edited 11-08-2009 03:59
I have been using the Tillman Elk Skin gloves for over 25 years. The 750 is what works best for me. They stay soft and I mostly change them because of getting them dirty instead of burning them ...I think they are the only thing I buy that has gone down in price.....
         RJS
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 11-08-2009 18:26 Edited 11-08-2009 18:29
I'm useing what is called Black Stallion 855 and with that glove and the tillman aluminum backing shield these gloves last a very long time I found. The gloves are a little thicker then I like but they seem to last a while and after a few days useing them they break in really well

Shawn when you order from that site you may want to order a few things because shipping is kinda alot I thought, so I always make sure I make one big order when ordering and if you like the tillman gloves you may want to try cyberweld.com they don't charge for shipping although not sure they sell the aluminum back shields for the gloves
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-08-2009 18:51
They have one kind for $4.45.  Thanks. 

http://store.cyberweld.com/stwegl.html
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tillman elkskin gloves