Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / pipe over plate
- - By atramsdell (*) Date 11-07-2009 19:51
if I qualify in 6g does that automatically qualify me in me for 2,3,&4g plate without having to take those tests?
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 11-07-2009 20:04
Yes.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-07-2009 23:16
Hi Atramsdell!

Not necessarily!
It all depends on what code/standard you're qualifying to, what are the thicknesses of material as well as the diameter of pipe as well, so I wouldn't take yes as a blanket answer for every situation or circumstance! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-08-2009 13:50
Good points to consider.

As mentioned by Henry, all the essential variables of welder performance qualification must be considered. Those variables vary slightly from one welding standard or code to another. There is no one test that qualifies the welder for everything. You must consider the process, the filler metal (F numbers com into play), progression (vertical uphill versus downhill progression), was the test taken with or without backing, was only one process used for the entire test or were two (or more processes) used, i.e., GTAW for the root and SMAW for the fill and cover, and the list of variables goes on and on.

In general, a test on pipe does qualify the welder for plate, but within the limits of certain essential variables. So, with that context in mind, Henry and the others ae spot on.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By atramsdell (*) Date 11-08-2009 21:17
thanks yall
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / pipe over plate