Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum welding with a Stick Welder?
- - By safty1st Date 05-08-2002 01:56
Hello,
I just got my grandfathers old welder, which is an Idealarc 250 by Lincoln, I understand I am able to do a lot of things with it including welding aluminum. Honestly, I do not know how that would work. Also, if anybody knows where I can get an Owners Manual for it that would help me out a lot. Thanks for any help.
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 05-08-2002 12:20
I have always felt that the person who invented aluminum SMAW did not devote near enough time and energy to this endeavor. It can be made to look good with alot of practice. I would suggest that it be used only for small jobs that are not going to sold on the open market. It is good for emergency repairs and tacking up larger jobs. It runs very hot and fast, slag inclusions are a major problem, as is spatter. I would say that it is good for "around the farm" but not for the manufacturer or fabricator. Lincoln Electric in Cleveland Ohio will have an owners manual. Call 1-888-921-9353 or visit their website. I hope this answers your question.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 05-08-2002 18:17
i've never stick welded aluminum, but i've heard it's a pain in the butt. aluminum is hard enough to weld to certification codes with MIG and TIG...i couldn't imagine welding to code w/ a stick welder. in fact, as the previous reply says, i don't think anybody in their right mind uses this process on aluminum on a large scale, or where welding codes are applied.
Parent - By IowaBob (*) Date 05-09-2002 01:15
I tried stick welding aluminum a number of times and, as mentioned earlier, it is problematic at best. The travel speed, proximity and angle of the rod to the material, and amperage setting are all very very critical with a stick. It's kind of like husking peanuts with a log splitter in the dark. MIG or TIG are much better for AL but if you have a torch try the AL solder for back yard light gauge projects. Before I got my MIG I used it quite often with great results.

Bob
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 05-09-2002 12:29
When I was in the Navy I was stationed onboard a ship that was half aluminum/half steel. My job was a Hull Technician (repair welder) and the only welding equipment available was stick welders. Trying to repair a cracked bulkhead of high strength aluminum in the vertical and horizontal positions with stick is a nightmare! I'm sure it would never pass x-ray. I had this dumb Ensign Division Officer (23 years old with a college degree in economics) who was convinced that I should be able to weld anything without regard to position or location. I wound up getting busted for insubordination because after a few painful failed attempts of welding a deck patch on the overhead side with aluminum stick, I had to tell the Ensign where I thought he should put his deck patch...
Anyway, if you need to stick AL, do it in the flat position on thicker materials and have a jack-hammer and grinder ready to take off the cement..I mean slag...
Parent - By magodley (**) Date 05-09-2002 12:45
I agree. The very best stick rod for aluminum isn't worth a tinkers....
Be sure and practice first.
Parent - By wack Date 05-12-2002 10:51
I welded AL for a little bit. I suggest using Cronatron rod if you can afford it. The major thing is to keep your work piece very clean and to practice... a lot!
Parent - By davmtrnweld Date 05-25-2002 06:11
Welding with the IdealArc will be messy, but you can make it stick. I tried gas welding to no avail. I currently use a 3/32 rod designate UTP48093. I have found it to be satisfactory when operating on DC+ at around 85 amps. The rod is a bit expensive a $23/lb and doesn't go very far, but you can at least stick the metal together. I am using this on 1/4 aluminum.

Regards, David
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum welding with a Stick Welder?