Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Skill of a Communicator
- - By Joey (***) Date 11-09-2009 08:15
This incident was not happened to me; I heard this story from colleagues when I was in the viewing room for RT films this morning. Thought this might be good to share here in this forum.

Let say, you (TPI) are dealing with contractor who wanted to get things in their favor by compromising on non compliance and you’ve given them a straight to the point response (like "no way men, non compliance report must be issued period!") which they don’t appreciate. When the contractor complaint to the inspector’s employer, the response by inspector to the contrator was interpreted by employer as too blunt. Will you consider blunt response as Inspector’s weakness “to be called unskilled communicator”?

AWS Certification manual stated “As a welding inspector you must not only posses the physical, technical, and ethical qualification, but you must posses the skill of a communicator”.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-09-2009 17:11
Joey,
One could be the most informed and eloquent communicator in the world, and if you do not have a Receptive or Attentive Audience...all efforts are wasted.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 11-09-2009 17:31
Perhaps the Hurt Feelings Report form is in order?
Attachment: HurtFeelingsReport.doc (125k)
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-09-2009 22:16
don't take this the wrong way, but judging by your post is english your second language?

not withstanding.

often times contractor's will make whatever excuse to get someone out the door who they think is slowing down production. If you were calling it by the book (which you should be) and they were having an issue with that. I could see why they would want you out the door, but it's no fault on your part.

It helps to have good political skills and "diplomacy" to work in the fabrication world if you want to be employed for a long time.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-09-2009 23:14
Joey,
  "no way men, non compliance report must be issued period!" might not be the ideal way to put it however it does not change tha fact. Sometimes no matter how well worded or nicely you tell them they still do not like to hear it.

Another thing that has been asked is about the first language of the person in question. Sometimes things can be taken the wrong way when two people have different dialects as their first and foremost means of communication. When this is the case one must walk softly when conveying information such as this.

As for me it really depends on my standing at a particular time and place as to how nice or not I am in conveying the message. Some situations call for a great deal of tact and political correctness where others do not matter one way or the other. If you are unsure of which way to go, ALWAYS err on the side of political correctness.

Now in the more carefree environments I also use the "Hurt Feelings Report" and as a matter of fact I handed one out today (true). It was in a very easy going joking manner (all in fun) way. :-) I keep a spare copy in my clip board.

Sometimes this document can be an icebreaker when presented and used in the right way.

jrw159
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-09-2009 23:23
I once got chewed out because of my Email tone.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-10-2009 02:33
DID YOU LEAVE YOUR CAPS LOCK ON SO IT LOOKED LIKE YOU WERE SHOUTING?  I've been accused of that before.

Regarding the original post:
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you end up in a situation where the contractor will blame the inspector for all of their problems (and that's wording it mildly).  All you can do is CYB and even then you may not "win".  Yes it is an insult, yes it hurts (no matter how tough we are), yes it makes us want to take "evasive" action to protect our good names.
But I like to remember two things: 1) "Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug". 2) My personal favorite - "Time wounds all heels".
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-10-2009 04:33
I have been accused of practicing "Snow Shovel Diplomacy.”

That's when you hit them in the face with a shovel just to get their attention before you tell them the bad news.

When I get done there is no doubt you have been stepped on, insulted, and abused.

"Al, why would anyone do that the way they did?"

"What can  I tell you other than they are simply stupid. There is no other reason they would have done it that way."

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-10-2009 10:57
As the saying goes, you can't fix stupid.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-10-2009 23:15
It's because of the new an improved models they keep coming up with
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Skill of a Communicator