Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Heat Affected Zone
- - By arclyte1 Date 05-08-2002 16:34
I am so glad I found this website where I can get good answers. I have a question on the "Heat Affected Zone". If one was to weld a 6" branch connection on a 12" piece of schedule 40 carbon steel pipe, is there a distance that he would have to stay away from one of the butt welds on the line? I am told there is a rule of thumb of at least 4", but would'nt that depend on the size of the branch connection being welded? Any information, or better yet written documentation would be greatly appreciated. I understand the theory behind the metallurgy reasons and the effect on the steel structure and the HAZ, but I need some kind of documentation both for my welders and for myself.

Thanks again
Cathy
Parent - By Seldom (**) Date 05-08-2002 18:05
Hi Cathy,
You may want to take a look at one of our discussions dated 4/9/02 "Minimum Weld Spacing"
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 05-08-2002 20:21
As stated by seldom, there was a previous string devoted to this topic. I do however believe, if my mind serves me well, that it was devoted more to structural steel work although the answers did discuss the issues in piping as well.

I can only say that if propper care is taken, there is no reason why welds can not be very close together. (T joints are two welds that run right into each other!) I believe that in ASME VIII there is a 50mm (2") limit to the spacing of welds. (Also based on the material thickness.) This will sometimes be contravened due to practical reasons.

You mentioned that you understand the metallurgical reasons for not getting the welds close together. Well, it depends on many factors but metallurgically speaking it can be beneficial for welds to be very close together as the second weld will tend to refine the first weld. For this to happen however, the welds need to be VERY close together. A typical HAZ is anything from 1 - 5mm deep depending on the welding parameters. You can therefore see that in most cases the spacing limitations has very little to do with the metallurgy of the weld. It is rather a matter of workmanship due to the distortion surrounding welds and possible residual stresses interacting with each other.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 05-09-2002 14:37
Niekie,
the topic "minimum weld spacing" was related to B31.1
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 05-09-2002 17:23
The old memory seems to be packing up!

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Heat Affected Zone