Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Clamshell caps for tanks?
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-10-2009 04:34
Real quick, do they not have a clamshell cover for acetylene tanks? I stopped at the LWS today and all they had was the big round ring, said I was more worried about my gauges deciding to leave home without my knowing and wondered why there was not a clamshell type cap you could lock. So, here I am, yet again asking the folks that know. Tried an internet search but don't know the technical name, found lots of good clam recipes though! As always thank you for your insight on this subject!

Shawn
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-10-2009 07:11
never seen one that I can remember ....but the idea of it does not sound hard to fab.   You want a shell over your regulators so they cannot be removed from the bottle with the option of being able to read them right??     You should be able to hammer that out in a few beers with some 12ga-10ga sheet ya rekon?       If they don't make em that sounds like a very sell-able invention to me.  

From what I hear about working a rig these days .......I would probably have a neon transformer wired to the body and alarm (5-15,000) volts, possibly 1-2 hungry dogs chained to it, and maybe surrounded by beaver traps when its parked in a dark place.....with a nice 357 ruger or 40 by my side in case I hear them screaming from the other stuff.       Sorry for the lack of help.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-10-2009 10:50
No thats exactly what I was looking for Tommy, someone who could say they seen one or not. Like I said, got them for the O2 bottles but not acetylene, just seems odd that they'd have a completely different design for both.

I though about making something but one guys said, "they sell them and they are DOT approved" so that's why I figured I'd buy them, this way if pulled over they could not ticket me for an unapproved homemade contraption. I have been thinking about doing some mods to the big ring though, adding some stuff around it to make it lockable. Thanks for the info though Tommy! Oh yeah, no dogs but do like to have my 45 by my side.
Parent - By paul prill (*) Date 11-10-2009 12:47
About 10 years ago I bought some from the LWS here in Milwaukee at the time they were a Valley Gases branch, dont remember what they cost but I do know they were pricey. we had to get they for a job where the in house people kept draining our tanks on the weekend, we only needed them for the inert gases but I got them for the oxy-acet. also ( not my money) I have also seen them on railroad repair rigs out in the country.
not much help but its a start.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-10-2009 13:30
Here's what I found      http://www.americap-mfg.com/snapcap.html

I dont have any of these but if they wont fit acetylene it's an idea how to make one anyway.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 11-10-2009 14:33
I have a set of those myself. They work alot better than those damn rings.
Parent - By jrod (**) Date 11-10-2009 21:37
I have them also and they do make them for acetylene bottles. When I bought them I wanna say it was about $110 or so for the set.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-11-2009 03:09
Excellent link weldwade! Did a search on americap and found their website and contact info(http://www.americap-mfg.com/starthere.asp). Sent them a message to get some pricing. Hopefully they'll sell just one.

Never thought it would be called a snap cap though, surely would not have searched for it under that name. Thanks again!!

Shawn
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-11-2009 19:05
Your welcome and it was my pleasure. Actually I placed a order for a few of these to try out on the company vehicles through my Airgas Rep. They do have them for Acet cylinders, thats what he tells me. As soon as I get them I'll take some pics and post them up.

Wade
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-12-2009 04:39
Wade, ordered mine today. They have a warehouse here in Nashville. For anybody else interested or looking here's some information.

American Cap Company located in Wheatland, PA. http://www.americap-mfg.com/valve.html They gave me a call first thing this morning and gave me another phone number to a dealer/supplier that will sell you just one cap if you want.

The supplier is RATERMAN Manufacturing out of Livermore, CA. They do not have walk in stores as I was told, do catalog/internet sales I believe is what she said. Phone number out there is 800-264-7793 very pleasant to deal with. The cap I'm getting was $48.45 and going to pick it up at their will call tomorrow.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 11-13-2009 01:28
better check with the local authorities. in some states it is illegal to transport oxy/ acetylene bottles with the regulators attached.
I remember many years back the local police in oildale calif making a killing writing tickets for unsafe transportation of hazardous fuels
on all us rig welders that were leaving  a texaco refinery after a 14 hr day in 100 deg plus and were to damn  lazy to remove our regulators
till we got to the hotel. lesson learned. and i still see rigs all the time in calif driving with them on. I usually tell them but they think they know it all
and drive on waiting to be stopped  lol lol
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Clamshell caps for tanks?