Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I wanna work
- - By david shade (*) Date 11-10-2009 05:54
Got laid off about a month and a half ago and in the mean time I have been doing side fab work but now that has even come to a stand still. Was work for a company welding stainless. We were working 5 12, then 5 11"S and then a big lay off and then a second lay off.  I have been looking on line but there does not seem to be that much or I am not looking in the right place. So if anybody is willing to help out or point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. David Shade
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-10-2009 07:20
Might want to try http://www.roadtechs.com      Its not all traveling or temp work either...there are perm jobs on there from time to time.

I have been facing the axe all year long....I wish they would just get it over with....gonna be layoffs next month (official word now)  then nothing happens.....they can't keep us there forever with no work....broom pushing, tool making.....lots of smoking cigs and long breaks.   I should not complain about it as at least I am still drawing a check....its just a very depressing atmosphere. 

What type of work are you looking for in general and are you willing to travel for it???    Just asking because if I see something you might be interested in I could PM the info to ya.

Good Luck with the Search ....I have a feeling I will be myself very soon.

Tommy
Parent - - By david shade (*) Date 11-10-2009 07:30
thanks for the reply. I think I have visited that site before but I will look at it for sure. As far as work goes I would prefer a construction job. At this time I am not exactly to picky. I would be willing to travel in need be, if the pay is worth it. Yeah I know all to well how it feels to have a no work and a bunch of dudes standing around sweeping the same spot over and over. I am hoping the new year might bring some blue collar work back to us but who knows. haha. Anyways thanks for looking out. Good luck to you as well. David
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 11-10-2009 14:20
The economy sucks all over. Just checked Roadtechs before logging onto AWS. only 3 jobs posted so far today. Somethings gotta give.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-10-2009 14:55
speaking of all this. I'm gonna be needing to hire 2 welders by years end  in southern california.

It's production aerospace work, running semi-auto machines and manual TIG work. I haven't said anything yet because my HR people are slow on giving me the job req, but I'll let yall know.  We took on soo much work that they have me as the engineer down on the shop floor welding production parts!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-12-2009 17:01
Hey David

Here is one in my neck of the woods,  WELDERS - (CERTIFIED) needed for Central Arkansas Lock & Dam project. Apply: 3901 E. Kiehl Ave, Sherwood, AR or fax 501-835-6484. No phone calls please.  Sounds like some good ole structural to me.

Metarinka     I don't know about So Cal...."maybe" I need send you a resume.   BUT  I have a friend formerly from San Diego area (living here now), he just got laid off from where I work; he has been doing aerospace for the last 25-30 years and he might be interested.   PM me if you would like to see a resume from him.....he is very skilled, set the time record on passing our D17.1 certs. 

Tommy
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-12-2009 17:34
yah tommy I'll PM you my e-mail have him send a resume my way.
Parent - - By david shade (*) Date 11-12-2009 18:56
ok thanks. is there a website with more information
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-13-2009 08:00
David   naw  sorry that was an ad in the paper.  Rekon ya just got to fax em or show up.

Metarinka   WILL do   thank you.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I wanna work