Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Compare renewal of D1.1 and ASME IX
- - By viettq (*) Date 11-11-2009 08:48
     According to ASME IX, 2007, QW-322.2, (a), Renewal of qualification expired under QW-322.2 (a) may be made for any process by welding a single test coupon of either plate or pipe, of any material, thickness or diameter, in any position, and by testing of that coupon as required by QW-301 and QW-302. A successful test renews the welder or welding operator’s previous qualifications for that process for those materials, thicknesses, diameters, positions, and other variables for which he was previously qualified.
     According D1.1, 2008, 4.32.1.3, just mentioned:… test thickness of 10mm to qualify any production welding thickness greater than or equal to 3mm. I cann’t see anywhere in D1.1 show like ASME IX.
     By the way, our welders is qualified by BV, but now we start new project and the authority certifying is DNV. Besides, some Welder Performance Qualifications were expired.
Could we retest (according to D1.1,2008, 4.32.1.3) for our welders by new Authority Certifying (in case of they agree)? I really don’t know this is right or wrong?
Please advise me!
     Thank you!
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 11-17-2009 12:05
I would say that as long as you provide complete disclosure to you customer, you're fine.

By complete disclosure I mean that you show both codes side-by-side, point out the differences, and state you’re case.  I would want my customer to understand what I see, agree to the substitutions, and accept them.

Many codes that I’ve read do accept welding documents approved to other codes if approved by the engineer.

Good Luck,

Keith
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Compare renewal of D1.1 and ASME IX