Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / temp before chipping
- - By kkfabricator (**) Date 11-14-2009 00:16
is there a temperature that you should let a weld cool before chipping? I was talking with a guy in my shop about the massive amount of info that is on this site, and he asked me if I could try to find out.
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 11-14-2009 00:24
What are you welding and with what process?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-14-2009 00:27
I dont know whether it is correct or not or if there is a correct temp. But, I like to wait until the Cherry red color is gone from the Slag. Then Chip away.
Parent - - By kkfabricator (**) Date 11-14-2009 00:33
we mostly run SMAW 7018 & FCAW 71-T.
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 11-14-2009 01:14
You know, if you just laid down a nice weld you shouldn't "chip it", its a piece of art, so you should "unveil it".
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-14-2009 02:46
Well said, Bob! I used to be a certified stick welder.  My slag always peeled away from my welds as they cooled.  I did very little chipping.
Parent - - By kkfabricator (**) Date 11-14-2009 03:16
OK. I'm not talking about who can lay the best bead. any monkey can lay a bead that peels itself. I'm asking a metallurgy question and would like real answers. If you can't get passed your ego and answer the question, than please don't reply
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-14-2009 04:03
Among the "jobs" that the slag does is protecting the hot bead from the atmosphere, and to a lesser degree, slowing the cooling of the bead. Alowing the weld to cool before removing the slag is the way to go.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-14-2009 04:12
Aww, they're just having a little fun after a long hard week is all.

I don't know a specific place to find an answer to your question but it has been a "rule of thumb" that you should let the weld cool below red before trying to remove slag from a weld.  That is mostly to prevent nitrogen and oxygen from reacting with the hot metal.
Now I won't say there is a any sound basis to that - it seems to make sense but it may be just a myth for all I know.

Hopefully someone will jump in with a good answer for you.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-14-2009 04:39
The slag insulates the weld to reduce the cooling rate and it protects the hot metal from the atmospheric gases. The color of the weld, be it silver, yellow, blue, purple, etc., is indicative of the temperature of the weld when the slag was removed. Since the cooling rate influences the hardness of the weld bead and HAZ, it is best to leave it intact as long as practical. As for a magic number, I believe I would opt for 300 degrees F since all of the constituents are solidified and cooled to the point where the bulk of the retained Austenite should have decomposed into Ferrite, Pearlite, or Martensite by the time 300 degrees has been reached. That is not to say all the retained Austenite has decomposed by that temperature. Martensite can continue to form from Austenite as long as the temperature drops, but most of the decomposition (maybe 98%) into Ferrite, Pearlite, or Martensite has occurred by the time the temperature is at or below 300 degrees for low alloys of steel.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-14-2009 04:58
KK, 

I had to hesitate after your last post.  Answers given in jest are still answers.  Chet is right, the guys, all of us, like to have fun, and brag about ourselves, on occasion.  But, come on, sure, I can teach any monkey to pull the trigger on a GMAW, and maybe, strike an arc with a SMAW, but run a bead where the slag will actually peel up.  Don't slam good men with pure nonsense, unless you're talking about 7024 on a flat plate, then, who needs a monkey?  I can just lay it down and it will weld a beautiful bead and the slag will start peeling up seconds later, WHILE IT IS COOLING.

See, actually, up-ten & sw, along with the other posters, all went basically the same direction.  Once the slag cools to the proper temperature it starts cracking, popping off, and even peeling up if all conditions are right.  At this point you can be sure it is 'safe' to start chipping the rest of the slag. 

As to your question though, if you want an answer from a 'code', I can't find one.  Our common answer comes from experience and common sense.  Then there was DaveBoyer's information that touched on the metallurgical aspect.  Without a book handy to help me through this, there probably is a 'more proper' temperature range at which to chip slag because it does have a purpose in covering and protecting the weld while it is solidifying.  But I don't know what that range is.  There are many elements which need to be kept away from the molten metal and it aids in temperature stability as cooling takes place.  Slower cooling is much better.  That's why pre-heat and post-heat are often recommended and at times required (per 'code').  Hopefully one of our more science minded contributors will show up to better explain the things that I have so poorly stated.

Hope this is of help to answer your question.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-14-2009 06:50 Edited 11-16-2009 02:33
Ummmm,

I believe Al summed it up pretty good overall since he further elaborated on the metallurgical aspects of why approximately around 300 F or less would be a good point to wait until one decides to chip the slag off a bead and vI don't think anyone else could add anything else of significance to supersede Al's very concise and eloquent explanation!!! So KK? I believe you got your answer from Al, and don't worry  about the way we give answers here because that's just the way it is in here, and if you can't adapt to the humor, then I challenge you to find another place where they'll treat you better because I seriously doubt that you will succeed in doing so!

Respectfully,
Henry 
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-14-2009 15:15
welderbrent,

"Once the slag cools to the proper temperature it starts cracking, popping off, and even peeling up if all conditions are right.  At this point you can be sure it is 'safe' to start chipping the rest of the slag".

Exactly my point.

kk,

I'm not even going to dignify that remark with a response! Oops.  I just did.

And please don't refer to me as a monkey.  It gives the monkeys a bad name.  Actually, some of my best friends are monkeys, but not the ones at the zoo.  They should make the zoo monkeys wear sunglasses so they can't hypnotize me anymore.

As for my ego, it's small enough to fit in my toaster.  No wait.  That's an Eggo.  Never mind.

Seriously, just because I fart and expect others to enjoy the aroma doesn't mean I have a big Eggo.

Now really seriously, as you read someone's post, sometimes it's hard to read into their emotions or intentions.  Not that I owe you an explanation, but I can assure you that I am not an egotist and it wasn't my intention to boast or brag.  That's just not my nature.  I have a great deal of respect to the contributors of this forum, and I suggest you do the same.
Parent - - By kkfabricator (**) Date 11-15-2009 14:15
Thank you for your straight answers. It was not meant as any disrespect, but I just wanted an answer, not how good everyone could weld
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 11-16-2009 01:28
But you did get your answer, even if a couple guys got to have some fun. So who got hurt? Just relax.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / temp before chipping