Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Finally....I got the axe.
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-14-2009 08:44
Got my severance legalities and my walking papers today, 60 day notice.  After a year of chain yanking bs.   Well most of the ENTIRE facility was allowed to take the day off with pay if they were "stressed out", and many got to roll up and go home with 60 days pay and benefits plus the severance.    OF COURSE not me, I get cut but I get to stay the duration, worked all nite tonite as well, and I get to be on call 24/7 from here to the end. Laid off 80% of my shop.

Course it was an interesting day, went to work with a friend with rope and tiedowns expecting to load up our tools, had one job offer this morning before work, got two more in the midst of getting my papers over the phone....LOL!!!   The most interesting of which is on offer to partner on a new business with a good friend.......I felt bad for everyone around me but I did not have too bad a day considering.

Oh well this ain't no pity post.....this is nothing but opportunity for me......I have been waiting to get out of this place in the right way for quite a while.   BUT like I said its opportunity as far as I am concerned.     I will be free mid Jan 2010, I can run a lot of different CNC equip and am familiar with a few different prog protocols, do all the usual fab equipment, run normal machine shop equip (mills, lathes etc.), can read prints as well as draw them up, know how to read spec sheets, do pretty much any kind of welding except for EB and orbital robots (zero experience there), have a few years in aerospace, have rig experience with portable on the fly fab and fix it now kind of work, Razor blades to slabs.    If you need anyone like that feel free to pm me, I will send a formal resume and we can talk about it.

Just wanted to vent a bit about it....its been a long time coming and so much crap to get to this point. It's really been tough just to show up there over the last year.

Tommy
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-14-2009 13:31
Well I'm sorry to hear that you got your walking papers but like you said this may be the open door you have been looking for. Best of luck in your search and I hope you find something great really soon.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-14-2009 14:10
Sounds like you made out pretty good considering Tommy.  Best of luck to you mate!
Parent - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 11-14-2009 15:11
SOME OF US CAN JUST WHEATHER SO WELL, AND CONSISTANTLY AND GRACEFULLY LAND ON OUR FEET..
BEST OF HEALTH AND PROSPERITY TO YOU TOMMY...  TO YOU AND ALL YOUR FAMILY....

PEACE AND GOD'S BLESSINGS....

Trlblzr302
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-15-2009 05:56
Good luck on Your future endevours.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-15-2009 14:41
Congratulations! You were getting stale and now you have an opportunity hit the floor running. The economy might be a tad slow, but there is still a place for someone that know what to do and how to do it. You fit the description, so go for it.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-15-2009 20:14
Sorry about the loss of work, BUT, I agree with the rest here, you don't appear to be a person who will be without work for long. 

Good Luck and Best Wishes,  We are praying and pulling for you.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-15-2009 21:50
Tommy, I think your like a cat and will probably land on your feet. I wish you the best of luck but don't think yuo will need it.
                               M.G.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 11-15-2009 22:13
I don't think you will have a problem finding a job hell all the pm's I've sent you for advice on different things and the knowledge that you know of just everything. Nope, I'm sure a week after you leave you'll be setup somewhere else doing even better and like others have kinda said this maybe the best thing they could do for you.

I know I have gotten laid off before and was upset then but boy now looking back I thank them a 100 times over for laying me off because i can do so much better.

Take care
Chris
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-16-2009 02:22
Some company should make out well if they pick you up. Though things are slow, I think some companies are using this time to pick up top notch employees.

Hope things go well for you and those things that don't stay in the proper perspective.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-16-2009 09:00
I  really want you fellas to know that I appreciate what you had to say.   I know that I AM a good welding hand but to hear your comments from people I respect...well it makes me feel good about myself.   Thank you very much!

My friend with the business offer is not near serious enough for me....the two job offers I have are at opposite ends of the planet....they pay well but the sacrifice to personal safety and family life are huge vs. pay.   I am most likely to cash out on my job and use that for equipment to do some portable work.    Its not much cash to work with but....I got unemployment coming in, so anything I can make I will use to build up with and go from there.   I got jack for equipment but a bit o cash and a lot of will.....that sounds like a challenge and that's the kinda thing that makes me go.   I run a comp programing and consulting biz after I walked out of my last killer job....we survived just fine...not great but we ate and lived off of it.....I had no business starting a biz like that and we made it......I rekon I am bit more savvy with welding then computers....heh heh heh........I am gonna throw my hand out with all I got see what happens with what I can put in it.    I made a big promise to my lady and myself ...no more factory, no more shift work....I will run the road first.   I  am committed to that and I will endure and I will make money regardless.  

Best regards to all you guys....yea the economy is sucking.....just place your self as well as you can for the turnaround cause it will come eventually.....if it don't then you will have use for all that ammo you got laying around and we can start over.

Cheers
Tommy
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Finally....I got the axe.