Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / DOT Test Questions
- - By awspartb (***) Date 11-15-2009 00:22
Has anyone ever heard of a DOT welding test where the plate is positioned at a 45 degree angle (6G)? 
One inch plate, backer bar, 45 degree angle/uphill, 5/32" inch E7018?

Thanks
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 11-15-2009 01:10
Sounds somewhat like the New York State DOT test. The plate is not positioned at 45 degree's though. The included angle of edge prep is 45 degrees, maybe that's what was meant??. It had been for years required to be welded with a 5/32 7018, but now can be welded with 1/8.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-15-2009 01:13
Tx Dot is 45 dgree prep 1" plate vertical and overhead with backer strap 7018
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 11-15-2009 02:14 Edited 11-15-2009 02:19
Yes, NYDOT.  The PLATE is placed at 45 degree angle.  5/32" rod all up hill.  Would you call this a 6G postion for plate?   Can someone provide me a link to the requirments of this test?  Any help appreciated. 
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-15-2009 03:17 Edited 11-15-2009 03:22
Hey awspartb!
What are you doing in NY state? ;) ;) ;)

There is no plate test for NYSDOT which stipulates that the plate must be positioned at a 45 degree angle!!! There are two positions required for you to take in order to (hopefully if you pass) become certified, and they are the vertical and overhead positions in order to qualify in the Flat, Horizontal,Vertical and Overhead positions for both groove and fillet welds as well! There is also a thickness limitation which depends on the test plate thickness used on the test and what yuo're qualifying for as well as two classifications of welder, such as a shop or field welder (refer to the bottom of page 106 in the attached .pdf file)... Who ever is feeding you this bunk is either pulling your leg, or does NOT know what they are talking about!!! LOL :) :) :)

Here's the .pdf file which will explain everything to you:

https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/engineering/structures/manuals/scm/repository/scm08_section8.pdf

https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/engineering/structures/manuals/scm/repository/scm08_section7.pdf

This last .pdf is something you should look over because it clearly spells out the type of quality in workmanship standard expected of the welder whether they be a shop welder or a field welder, and I think it should be a requirement for you to understand that this test which you will take according to what is inside the firsr .pdf file also must meets the standards written in this last .pdf file as well!!!

So, I hope this will clarify the test for you! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-15-2009 03:24
Hey Awspartb!

Oh yeah I almost forgot!!! Here's the entire manual:

https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/engineering/structures/manuals/scm

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 11-15-2009 03:38
This was around 12 years ago.  Is it possible this test existed 12 years ago?  This guy is driving me nuts saying that he took this test.  Thanks
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-15-2009 04:12
Hey awspartb!

No! He's either pulling your leg, or is so brain dead that he's probably seeing things in his mind in a very distorted manner much like a hand full of the characters you may come across in here at times!!! :) :) :)  Don't take this person seriously at all if he insists that he took a test exactly the way he's describing, because that is not the NYSDOT welding plate test.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-15-2009 05:03
awspartb,
"Would you call this a 6G postion for plate? " No, 6G is for pipe... And no there aint a 5G for plate either...unless you just want to test the welder twice on 3G!

"This guy is driving me nuts saying that he took this test." Sometimes ya just gotta nod your head and change the subject. Unless he's your Boss. Then... just gotta nod your head and change the subject.
Who is it in here that says "you can always tell a welder, just can't tell'em much?
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 11-18-2009 09:19
Until recently I worked for NYS DOT in the Metals Engineering Unit and was involved in welder testing.  Prior to that I was a contractor who GAVE the plate test at Modern Welding in Schenectady.  The test is given in the Vertical and Overhead Position with 5/32 or 1/8" rod.  The 1/8" rod is a recent change that I pushed thru because I dont think you should tell a welder what size rod to use. (you dont tell an artist what size paint brush to use).  In most cases a 1/8" rod is better to use for the root pass. The test can also be given in the flat or horizontal position but only for a specific project and the cert is only good for that project.  Hope this clears up the test requirements.
dave
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / DOT Test Questions