Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification tests
- - By ccbrown (*) Date 11-18-2009 00:50
I have been a welder for almost ten years now and have worked in a pipe fabricaton shop for most of that time. I recently went and took the CWI exam in October and now that I have my certification I have a few questions. I have been given and administered many welder qualification tests through the UA but, I have never filed one through AWS. What steps must I take and must it be at an accredited testing facility? 

Thank You
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-18-2009 04:39
Your test has to be administered by an Accredited Test Facility in order to register with AWS.

Read QC-4 and QC-7

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-18-2009 10:49
ccbrown
Not to seem disrespectful.
Why would you want to send Welder Qualifications to AWS.
Why would you want to have the company bare the added expense of sending their welding candidates out to test. 
You didn't say what code this is dealing with.
AWS D1.1, D1.5 explains that the responsibility of the welders qualification rests on the Fabricator.
The code explains the record keeping policies and procedures you need to maintain.
The only other people that need to see them is the Project Owner/Engineer of Record/or their representative.
You might need to show them to potential customers if you have not proved yourself in the business or State and Federal Jobs.
But I don't know everything and there may be some one requiring such qualification standards.
But it sure wastes the aws's time and resources to store these and provide verification.
Just a couple of questions.
And Congratulations
Marshall
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-18-2009 12:11
As much as I hate to say it, I agree.  Having nearly 35 years in this business, I can tell you for the most part, having a welder certified, even when done through an AWS Accredited Test Facility, is almost meaningless.  I tried desperately when working for AWS Certification Department to let the program die but of course it produces income, not only for AWS but also for the Accredited Test Facility.  Dollars win common sense loses.

Virtually every employer I've ever know or worked with or for, looks on these "Certifications" in the same manner.  In the best of cases, it might open a door to be permitted an in-house test but sometimes even this backfires.

Sorry, thats an educated and experienced opinion.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-18-2009 15:46
Interesting perspective...

But I think the number of accredited test facilites (ATF's) is a testament to their profitability..  There are fewer every year I think.

Unless you have a pretty brisk business I can't imagine anybody with an ATF as a collateral business to make any money at it.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 11-18-2009 17:04
I agree with all of the above. 

I have over a hundred customers including defense contractors, automotive, earth moving, aerospace, ships, Department of Defense and Navy, and others.  Once, I even welded a few parts for the vehicle that was driven on Mars. 

I deal with many codes and military standards.  I'm audited a half a dozen times per year.  Government audits are the toughest.

I prepare all welding documents myself.  I send out samples for tension testing and NDT as required.  AWS Accredited Testing Facility has never been an issue.  Most customers want to see my welding system and how I accomplish their audit points. 

I might make a hundred different parts for a customer, but they usually only need to see a few (aluminum, stainless, steel, with each process) full-blown PQR's.

I think that AWS ATF’s might be overkill.

Good Luck,

Keith
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification tests