Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / I'm a high school student who needs help
- - By chan hawkins Date 05-11-2002 00:50
PLZ fill out my interview it determines whether or not i pass my ag-science class or not
1)What are some of the advantages of welding as a career?
2)What are some of the disadvantages of welding as a career?
3)Whats the average income of a welder?
4)Where are you from?
5)What is your name?

Plz fill this out it will help me imensely. :) Thnx.
Parent - By quality101 (*) Date 05-16-2002 21:26
Hello Chan,

I hope this message gets to you in time to allow your passing your class. My name is Steve Leach, I am currently living in Columbus, MS., and I work at a major boiler manufacturing plant in West Point, MS. where I am currently employed as a Welding Engineer. I began my career in welding 30 years ago as a Boilermaker Helper in the shipyards of Tampa, Florida.

Some of the advantages of welding as a career? One of the biggest advantages obtainable through a career in welding is one of self accomplishment in performing a task or job that not everyone or anyone can do. A person who has attained certain welding skills, however varied or at what level of expertise that person may have, they have the ability to earn income. Obviously, the more skilled that person becomes (through experience) and possessing the knowledge and the skills in several of the welding processes provides for a means to higher earning potential.

The earning potential is as varied as there are differing types and styles of welding processes. Spot welders, tackers, and stud welders for instance; while they are performing welding activities and are welding with a particular welding process, the earning potential is typically less than that of Pipefitters/Steamfitters, Ironworkers, or Boilermakers, for instance. These welding tradesmen have learned their skills over many years of apprenticeship, through Vocational Training Programs, or just by years of hands on experience.

I would say that typical pay expectations would be as low as $8.00/hr. and as high as $35.00/hr. Average pay? My "guesstimate" would be somewhere around the $13 to $15/hr. for shop rates and somewhere around $20 to $24/hr. for field construction. Payrates are affected by several other factors as well such as the area in which you live, the amount of industry in your area, and the need for skilled welders in your area.

Another advantage of welding as a career is the fact that to become an excellent and skilled welder, you do not HAVE to have a college education. Please note that I didn't say that you don't have to be educated, you just don't have to go to college to get where you want to be. A high school or a G.E.D. equivalent, in almost every place I know, is all that is required as far as education requirements go.

Another advantage of welding as a career is the fact that the skills that you learn or can achieve in Mississippi, Kentucky, New Jersey, you name it, it does not prevent you from using those skills in Alaska, Nevada, Michigan, Alabama, or Oklahoma. I hope you get my point. Your skills are mobile and that is a good thing because it is closely linked to one of the disadvantages of welding as a career, and that is the fact that oftentimes this career has periods of layoff due to lack of work.

In most instances, however and if you have excellent welding skills, a good welder can find work most anywhere. Even if they have to travel distances to get there. Having worked in Boiler Construction, I have been able to travel to some very nice places and I have been able to meet and live around some very nice people all through having had welding skills.

The disadvantages? I have already listed one and I can think of very few other instances I would regard as a disadvantage. Some would argue perhaps that it is a dirty or "hot" job. Yes, but dirt washes off and when you get off work you find yourself a nice cool place to retreat to. Your retreat? A home, that you pay for yourself. The utilities, you pay for yourself. The car or truck, you select and pay for yourself. "Toys"! The boat, the four wheelers, the camper, the home entertainment center, the things that you want....that your family gets to have and to share with you.....all for being a part of that thing.....that thing called welding!

I hope I have in some small way helped with your endeavor. What I have said here is only a small portion of that which has become known as the welding trade. Welding is a science and welding is an art, both of which are reasons I have enjoyed my career as a welder.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / I'm a high school student who needs help