Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / joint design, electrodes, wire, -- what do schools use?
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 11-18-2009 03:25
i am a student in WA. St. i am currious as to what kind of training other schools use. what kind of joints do you train on, what kind of metal do you train with, how big are the peices you train with? what wiers and electrodes do you use and are you given peramiters or do you have to look them up?

we have to look up all peramiters for wire and electrodes. we use the biggest peices of metal possible weld all joint geomotery reconized by the AWS. we trainwith nr-232, nr-211, E7018, E6010, E70S-8. work alot with 8X8 square tube, W24X68, 8" sch 80, and a varriety of round tube between 1" and 3'. we also do a lot aluminun TIG 1/4" and 1/8" (T, LAPP, BUTT, CORNER) and we do aluminum spray and pulsed spray on 1/4" and 1/8".

i hope students and teachers will both respond.

Thanks.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-18-2009 15:02
When I went through school I had to learn Every major Manual process.  That included SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, FCAW, SAW, and OFW.   We did all positions with both a fillet and a square or beveled butt joint with no backing.  We also did some pipe joints either stick 100% of the way out, or Tig root and stick all the way out.

I'm happy to say I learned to Tig weld on aluminum that means that by the time I went to stainless steel and steel it seemed so easy!

When I went to another welding school in Pennsylvania I didn't repeat many classes but the only thing that really changed is that we prepped our own material, generally used thicker 1-2" plate, and would multi bead everything.  In Michigan we focused more  on thin plate and open root joints, the theory being that if you can lay down a single pass weld on open root 14-16 ga, then you can multi pass thicker material.

wire: we used the normal stuff 6010,6011 7018, er 70S-2 can't remember for TIG but it would of been the associated bare wire. Some nickel rods and stianless 308 rod as well. Er70s-8 seems a little over kill if your working with clean material?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-18-2009 15:50
I teach a 240 hour course over a 16 week period. Below are the topics I have been able to cover with SOME students. What the student gets to do is based upon what type of work they want. If they get to the point they can walk in fresh at night and make a D1.1 acceptable vertical and overhead fillet welded Tee joint with all processes except GTAW, we can work on whatever they want to get better at.

All practice is done on 3/16" x 1-1/2" flat strips. These are used for all tee joints, butt joints, and lap joints. In addition  we tack them together with a 60 degree included angle, weld a bead at the root in the flat position, and then fill the remainder simulating a groove. I cut and etch the weld in 1 or 2 places and if its clean I let them use some 1/2" plate I bevel on my own dime.

The 3/16" flat bar also work well for square groove butt joints with 6010. Because of the thin material and 1/8" electrodes, we run the 7018 on the low end. Most guys are pleasantly suprises when we move to 1/2" material as the amperage is more useable.

Also, not everyone gets to do everything. I have a few that have not made it past the vertical fillet weld with 1/8" 7018.

My program is not written in stone. Its all done out of an 18 wheeler trailer. Classroom space is scarce as is time. This is my 1st time to teach so I am still learning.

Here is what I tryy to do with everyone with some slight modifications based upon skill.

SMAW

Strike an arc E6010 1/8"

Flat pad weld 6010 1/8"

Horizontal Pad Weld 6010 1/8"

Flat Pad weld E7018 1/8"

Horizontal Pad Weld E7018  1/8"

Vertical Pad Weld E6010 1/8"

Vertical Pad Weld E7018 1/8"

Horizontal Fillet Weld Tee Joint E6010 1/8"

Horizontal Fillet Weld Tee Joint E7018 1/8"

Vertical Fillet Weld tee and lap Joint E7018 1/8"

Overhead Fillet Weld Tee and lap Joint E7018 1/8"

Vertical Fillet Weld Tee and lap Joint FCAW .045" E71T1

Overhead Fillet Weld Tee and lap Joint FCAW .045" E71T1

Horizontal Fillet Weld Tee Joint GMAW ER-70S-6 .035

Verticval Fillet Weld Tee Joint GMAW ER70S-6 (uphill and downhill with breaks to show depth of penetration)

Open root with 6010 Horizontal

Open root with 6010 Vertical followed by one bead cap with 1/8" 7018.

SMAW or FCAW Simulated 60 degree included angle groove weld using flat bar at 60 degrees. Cut and Etch. Vertical and Overhead.

SMAW or FCAW 3Gand Or 4G 1/2" Plate test IAW AWS D1.1 with side bends.

Setup of GTAW equipment for Carbon Steel and flat beads on plate.

Open Root Pipe, 6010 6"-.432 wall CL Vert > 45 Deg  > Horiz

Open Root GTAW on plate Flat Horiz and Vert

Open Root GTAW followed by 7018 on small diameter (<2 7/8") material.
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 11-18-2009 22:21
We have about the same objectives. We use 3/8" CS Plate for Pad welds, Fillet, and open-root V groove welds.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / joint design, electrodes, wire, -- what do schools use?