Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / If oil runs out...
- - By nfl Date 11-19-2009 03:47
what will happen to union pipeliners? Will they not receive their pension?
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 11-19-2009 04:04
elaborate....
Parent - - By nfl Date 11-19-2009 04:35
Well, pipeline is used for oil transportation so if oil runs out in 20-30 years, what will happen to the journeymen/helpers in the pipefitter union? They won't find any other job used for welding pipes. That is their specialty. Might have to work in some fast food restaurant.
Parent - - By welder_Bob (**) Date 11-19-2009 05:15
Oil is not the only thing that runs thought pipe and there are other things to weld on, I just prefer to weld on pipe.  If the world runs out of oil my pensions/401k will be the least of my worries.
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 11-19-2009 05:47
Amen
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-19-2009 05:53 Edited 11-19-2009 23:39
Did you ever hear of the oil tar sand deposits in Canada??? They've got at least another 100 years or so of Oil there alone, and that's not even including all of the oil that hasn't even been explored for yet in the Rockies or other places right here in the US, so I wouldn't worry about losing you pension for at least another two generations!!! Nope!!! Pipeliners still have a rosy future ahead!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 11-19-2009 17:22
Oh We know all about the tar sands here in Alberta and I'm quite glad but surprised that you do too Henry. But Greenpeace protesters have certainly become quite the nuisance what with stringing out their banners  over equipment, suspending themselves from crane booms and refinery towers. Not to mention the safety hazards they become when performing these careless acts.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-19-2009 23:45
You're surprised Up-ten??? I have had letters from some of my former students who have gone to work there, and they keep me informed of what's going on over there...

What most people do not know is the fact that there is more oil there than in Saudi Arabia!!! The only difference is the fact that it's harder to get the oil there than in Saudi Arabia.

Now as far as Green Peace is concerned, they are like cockaroaches... Spray RAID on them and they scurry and hide until they think it's safe to come out and protest again, so just keep spraying them with Raid until they get fed up and leave to find another place to protest!!! ;) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 11-20-2009 00:07
Sorry Henry, but I did say I was glad too and that's because most people, even here in Canada, don't know the fact about how much is in the ground  up here.  And those Greenpeacers, the way they've been chaining themselves to stuff, I was thinking about chaining myself to one of them  and see what they think about that!    I didn't know the part about you being a teacher but that would certainly explain to me how well written and informative your posts are.  Cheerfully, Bob.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-20-2009 01:33
By "RAID" do You mean napalm?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-20-2009 01:40
That will work!!! ;) ;) ;) Those sound cannons are pretty good too! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 11-20-2009 14:55
Guess those cannons didn't do their job so well last year and a few hundred ducks died in the tailings pond. But people aren't very forgiving in that respect despite the millions that Suncor and Syncrude pour into local programs and the surrounding area of Fort McMurray.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-19-2009 06:27
The oil isn't going to run out yet there is lots more to produce it's just the greedy rich won't let it happen so they can control prices !!!   Some of those rich fools might go broke someday though that can happen.  Many of the pipelines are so old and the pipeline companies are so far behind on maintenance and replacement of old lines but they want no one to know that so don't have to spend the money.  Someday a worse blow than some lately is going to cure that with some huge lawsuits and some pipeline companies going broke if they don't start tending to business. 
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-20-2009 02:07
Ummm, What about natural gas, we have plenty of that. Then thiers things like CO2, Amonia, Nitrogen, Water, fiber optic. But like they said if oil runs out who cares about a pension.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / If oil runs out...