Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS
- - By Chas. Miller Date 05-11-2002 12:48
Can anyone tell me if there is a prequalified wps for welding dissimilar metals such as a 304 stainless to a A-36 using a FCAW process? The joint design is a lap joint (fillet, no edge prep.) in a 2F position material thickness is approx. .750" the electrode would probably be a 309, .045" dia. Time is of the essence and I would like to get around having to qualify the procedure if possible. I have seen some publications that reference this but they were designed for materials from 10 - 18 ga. these were qualified through the Welding Research Council and had documented supporting pqr's. This wps can either be ASME or AWS, either will work for this project. If anyone has this info and would like to share it, please, E-mail me at Wldr61@cs.com. Thanks for any help on this issue.

C. Miller
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 05-11-2002 18:22
I'm not completely sure, but I think there is a prequalified procedure that will allow you to qualify FCAW 309 on A36 to A36. That's how I take a lot of dissimilar metal tube tests...It's a lot less expensive. Unfortunately I don't have any procedures at my disposal at this time. Good luck...
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS