Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Question about documentation of NDT hours
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-19-2009 18:19
I was faced with a question yesterday, I was asked to quanitify the number of hours that I have UT'd over the past 10 almost 11 years.
How do the rest of you guys go about documenting your NDT hours for each method?

I have some UT reports that date back a couple years that are still, in my office, in job files, but there is no way that I can find all of the job files to pull the UT reports out to have a record of the inspection...also some UT reports were really simple and it only took a few minutes to perform the UT vs others that were really complex and took several hours to perform the UT. There were days where there was no UT'ing and other where I worked long overtime hours, so I can't go back and look at the number of days and try to guestimate the percentage of the work day spent UT'ing.

Never thought to ever quantify my hours for each method, until now. The training hours are no problem because I have certs and remember the classroom hours for each, it's the experience hours. I have a new outside Level III in contract and he's helping me tie up loose ends.
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 11-19-2009 18:24
John,
It's obviously an issue as regards initial certification.  You need a certain number of hours (or months, depending on the method used to keep track of the experience) to qualify for a Level I and then a certain number of additional hours to qualify for Level II.  Once you've reached Level II, however, what difference does it make?
Mankenberg
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-19-2009 19:52 Edited 11-20-2009 12:05
It's a new testing firm that I brought in to help us with our quality program and I wanted to use them for the Level III services. I've also discovered that our written practice is outdated due to changes in TC-1A, so I have been trying to revamp all of that as well, and then this question came up about me documenting my NDT. These guys are new and want to give me a new set of exams to freshen up my files and get everything on current letterhead and up to date while under their Level III. Since these guys know nothing of me or our outfit, I was trying to get all of my old certs and such in front of them, but I didn't ever keep a good record of my hours. The Level III that initially got the program off to a start has long passed away and at that time TC-1A merely mentioned the number of months for each Level so we thought timesheets from my employment was good enough.
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 11-19-2009 22:29
OK I got it.  I had a similar problem in the past, though luckily for me mine came early enough that I was able to go back to people I knew at the companies I had worked for and piece it all together with documents they then kindly provided me.  I've still got them in order to prove my experience for initial certification, should it ever be a future issue.  I have not, however, been documenting hours/months since then.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-19-2009 22:46
I've keep a spiral wound copy of this general format since 87. I require all my LII's to keep one.
Attachment: CopyofCertbook.xls (17k)
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-20-2009 01:03
I have an xl file that i document all RT, PT,MT hours, and every training record, cert,test,ect.ect.
but How much value is an xl log that i maintain ?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-20-2009 03:36
Without a verifying signature, none. Documented evidence of training/experience etc cannot be done by yourself. The person your working for can.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-21-2009 01:22
So if i were to leave id get the prez to sign it, would it pull more weight?
I think that would.
i would not want to get caught in the same situation10 years from now
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-21-2009 16:01
CWI555

Where is it written that "Documented evidence of training/experience etc cannot be done by yourself.  This makes no sense.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-21-2009 16:23
CP 189
4.3 Previous Training and Experience.
4.3.1 Level I and Level II. A candidate’s previous
training and experience may be accepted by the
employer if verified and documented in writing by the
previous employer(s) or, for training, by the previous
training agency(ies).
Any claimed training and
experience which cannot be verified and documented
shall be considered invalid.

His specific application is nuclear, therefore NQA1 and CP189 apply.

Then we get to QC1 for AWS

5.3 All applicants shall submit with the application, written
verification of documented employment. This verification
or affidavit should be completed and signed by the
applicant’s most recent employment supervisor or the
appropriate personnel department staff,
if available,
attesting to the applicant’s employment activities of
which he/she has personal knowledge or documentation.
If acquiring this information is not possible, then the
applicant will submit a detailed affidavit attesting to previous
work experiences.

AWS differs in that they give an avenue for when it's not possible, but the intent is crystal clear. If it is possible it "Shall" be done.

Those are just a few places where it is written. There are multiple others.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-27-2009 12:57
Key words in clause 5.3: "if available".

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-27-2009 12:57
Key weasel words in clause 5.3: "if available".

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-27-2009 18:13
It's full of weasel words, but it's intent is clear.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-28-2009 14:37
It's the weasel words that keep us busy.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-28-2009 17:39
This is true.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-20-2009 12:13
I made something like that for a guy that I was helping with his UT Level I and II....we made up a log very similar to what you have there.....I'll dig that back out and try to fill it out from now....if for nothing else, just to prove that I'm still using these processes and haven't let them lapse.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Question about documentation of NDT hours