Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 98/2 mix
- - By preston davis (**) Date 11-21-2009 16:44
been running this gas for a while now, with LA90 wire, regulators set on 45, but we have had 3 bottles in the last two weeks thats just smell like s***. tried turning regs up or down, someone told me to roll the bottle on the floor, still nothing. not to sound like a whiner but the smell is horrible. any feedback would help.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-21-2009 17:57
98/2  Argon/Oxygen has no smell that a human can detect.

If you can hit the purge button on your feeder and smell the shield gas comming out of the Nozzel....  Stop now and do not weld again until you replace your gas supply and purge your lines.

Something is wrong with your process... wrong gas, different coating..  something..
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-21-2009 19:59
  Do what Lawrence has suggested and if you don't smell nothing. Do you have any cats around? I worked at a place once that had cats around to keep the rodents down and they would mark there territory by urinating on the material.When you welded over it would smell like crap.

M.G.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-23-2009 17:53
bad/ oxidized wire might be a problem. Shielding gas is completely odorless. Could be something burning
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 11-24-2009 00:29
It sounds like someone is pulling a prank on you...
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-24-2009 02:55
Probably didn't roll the bottle enough. It helps to stir 'em up better if you roll the bottles on gravel or better yet up hill only. If you let them go down hill, that will "unmix" the gasses. It works that way for "activating" the neutrons in the Lead Radiation source containers .....
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 11-24-2009 03:01
super, so once u roll it up hill should u carry it down? and will that unmix it? im sorry its funny
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-24-2009 03:09
Yeah,
Carry it downhill gently, like a full cup of cocoa over white carpet!
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 11-24-2009 03:11
LMAO! I like that.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 11-25-2009 03:55
If one of these bottles sitts too long the gasses can start to seperate this is the reason for rolling it around but, Lawrence is right, youve got bigger problem than that. Bad gas or wrong gas. You cannot ever trust the nobel peace prize winners they have mixing the gasses. If the application is highly critical Ive used gas mixers so I can have better control over the mixture. Id be having words with my supplier if I were you. Good luck!
CM
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-25-2009 04:42
How long would a tank need to sit before You would roll it up the hill?
Parent - - By preston davis (**) Date 11-26-2009 00:13
Thanx for the replies fellas, we got her figured out today, had (key word had) a helper that thought he would be funny and squirt deer urine on the wire cleaning sponges inside the feeders. So if any of you are looking for a little smart a## to come help you out in the shop, just let me know, he's huntin a job.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-26-2009 01:33
Sherlock Holms would be proud!

I've been known to be a bit of a joker myself....  But you never... ever... mess with tools.

Better to get one of the official message notes from the administrative assistant, put the phone number to the local zoo on it and slip it in the Boss's inbox with a note that he needs to call that number and ask for Mr. Lyon...

The fun never stops.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 98/2 mix