Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / DOMEX steel question
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 11-21-2009 21:49
DOMEX steel 110k, I'm involved in a potential project using this steel. So far I haven't received much info, except that the material thickness is 3/16" and the customer wants to use AWS code criteria. What code who knows, it may be me, the contractor who gets to decide. The problem there is I don't know the application yet, D1.3 is for material up to 3/16" and 80K max. D1.1 starts at 1/8" and 100K max. The only experience that I have had with this material was about 13 years ago and it was as a welder making tubes for scissor lifts from a bent C-channel and flat plate welded together. we used ESSAB spoolarc-86 as the filler metal and a Buggo track welder as the application process. The only other thing that I remember is that we kept the electrode spools in a hot box, and that each repair required pre-heat or else it would crack.
Anybody out there have experiences to share?
Parent - - By Stephen32 (*) Date 11-24-2009 19:33
We use Domex 100XF. When we weld this we use ESAB E111T-1. The manufacturer does not recommend any pre-heat. We have never had any problems welding this type of steel, unless it was to a higher grade of steel and then it became a preheat or post weld cooling rate problem. We also use D1.1 as our code. I have had to come up with many PQRs for this though. IMHO this is a great steel to work with and is much easier to deal with than any other steel of its strength.
The following is copied and pasted from the Swedish Steel web site that makes this type of steel (http://www.swedishsteel.com/domex_100_xf.html).

Domex 100 XF

Domex 100 XF Hot Rolled Extra High Strength Cold Forming Steel

Application

Any product where high strength and good bendability can reduce production costs, lower overall weight and increase load capacity.
Typical applications:

Cranes, Man Lifts

Car, Truck and Rail industries

Contractor and Agricultural machinery

Dimension range

Domex 100 XF is delivered in the following sizes.

Thickness Width
.079" -.394 Contact Swedish Steel

Chemical composition

C % Max Si % Max Mn % Max P % Max S % Max Al % Min Cb % Max Ti % Max
0.12 0.60 2.0 0.025 0.010 0.015 0.09 0.20

Mechanical properties

(acc. to ASTM A6)

Yield Strength Ksi Tensile Strength Ksi
Min. (MPa) Min. (MPa)
100 (690) 110 (760)
Elongation (2") %
Minimum Hardness HB
Approximate
15 250

Bendability

Minimum inside radius for cold forming

.079" - .250" 1.6xt

>.250" - .394" 1.8xt

Impact toughness

Guaranteed minimum: 20 ft· lbf at -40° F.

Welding

Low carbon, phosphorus and sulphur levels allow trouble free welding by all conventional methods. No preheating is required.

Adjacent to the weld a narrow Heat Affected zone (HAZ) with a slightly decreased hardness is produced, however, with standard welding techniques this has no practical significance.

Tensile tests taken transverse to the weld show the same tensile strength as the parent material.

Practical tests show that softer filler materials can be used in most cases. For specific information about filler material consult SSAB technical support.

Heat treatment

Stress relieving should be done in temperature ranges of 980° - 1080° F. Heating above this range reduces strength and should be avoided.

For more information, please contact your local SSAB sales office.

Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 11-24-2009 23:30
Stephen32,
Thank you for the reply.
Parent - By Stephen32 (*) Date 11-25-2009 16:19
No problem. If you do start using this and run into any problems that I can help with please let me know. I will be glad to share my limited knowledge.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / DOMEX steel question