Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hilarious!
- - By phaux (***) Date 11-22-2009 04:23
Jaw just about dropped when I ran across this post tonight:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/wan/1476802863.html
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-22-2009 05:00
One may be all he needs to practice on lol.  Maybe he hopes to survive and done has a good lawyer lined up so I'm not going to sell him a tank. 
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-22-2009 06:36
Wow...perhaps we should drop one in his front yard overnight on a stealth mission, at least the world will be rid of one more "genius". Maybe he's trying to practice hot tie ins??
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-22-2009 06:48
Or maybe the darn fool doesn't have clue of how to type, and express himself so that everybody can understand what the "friggin" idiot is trying to say... Don't you think???
What a vacuum head!!! :) :) :) Or maybe he's trying to create one giant vacuum out of his life!!! :) :) :) ROTFLMFAOAAA!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-23-2009 18:12
Hank, "vacuum head" might imply that knowledge can find its way in....
Parent - - By arrowside1 Date 11-23-2009 18:44
Wait for the "BOOM".
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-23-2009 18:50
:Putting my ear plugs in:

anxiously awaiting....
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 11-24-2009 01:11
Nitrogen??  hell fill it with water than cut on it!!    so and so down the street has done it that way for 60 yrs and he has never killed anybody.

Hell they use to purge gas tanks with propane to weld on them? and u wont cut one in half?

As long as its full there is no oxygen,  and you can't have an explosion without oxygen?

It hasn't had any thing in it for over a year?

I washed it out at the carwash with the soap and hot water its clean!

You welders think you know it all my grandad use to weld on propane tanks with a torch and baleing wire.

If you have ever heard any of these statements you might know a redneck! and if I had a dollar for everytime I have heard one? be like $75 bucks?
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 11-24-2009 02:06
You forgot one:
I took the valves out and set it on a brush pile and burned the brushpile to "season the tank"!
Parent - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 11-24-2009 23:22
lol!

Yeah I also forgot the "I backed my powerstroke up to it and smoked it out"
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-24-2009 02:16 Edited 11-24-2009 02:19
AL!!!

We have some new submittals to the FC committee. :-) The Safety section could benefit from these "words of wisdom".

Thanks Low Hyd and Rio... Funny chit fur chur. LOL

jrw159
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 11-25-2009 02:21
I have actually had farmers bring me a 250 and a 500 gallon propane tank and tell me that.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-24-2009 10:52
low_hy
We used to use CO2 when I worked for a tank company in Fort Worth 30 years ago on old and empty tanks, even used nothing if the leak was well below the surface of tanks contents and it was in use.
I discourage it but when that perfect smoker comes into your head the artistic desires kick in. LoL
I discourage it because telling someone how we do it just can't convey the dangers that are involved.
But as you I have no problems doing it as I think before I act.
Marshall
Parent - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 11-24-2009 23:19
I've actually purged tanks before with propane.....but I won't do it anymore,  it aint worth the risk.  I dont tell any one how to do it.  I've had people ask me how to and It ain't worth somebody getting killed.  metal is cheaper than hospitals or funerals.  just go buy or build a new one.

Every year some body wants a propane tank cut down for a wood stove, or a smoker. Had people that want fuel tanks cut on to make overhead storage tanks for corn etc.
people around still do it but I'm not going to do it just to prove I can.  And I don't give advice to people who are set on killing their selves just to save a buck!
If It has to be done we are purging it with nitrogen or they can get somebody else to do it period!

And their are no shortage of idiot's around here that just fill it with water or smoke it out with a diesal pick-up and a hose on their tail pipe,  And yes they get buy with it, some for years, but all it takes is being wrong once!!
Parent - - By sparksandslag (**) Date 11-24-2009 03:17
Sounds like his own personal way of chlorinating the gene pool.  Maybe we will read about this doofus in the annual Darwin Awards.
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 11-25-2009 17:57
it in the metal molicules (how ever u spell it) when hot they open up best way is to steam it with a big steamer till no hydro carbons are present
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-25-2009 22:05
The steam must work or did for one shop here for years.  They were right across the street from the elementary school and never had any accidents or explosions in the 50 or 60 years they were there and welded or cut or on tanks.  The old welding shop closed and is now owned by the school converted into more office or classroom space.  I wanted a 500 gal. propane tank converted for molasses and they said could do it and threw their steam hose in it for a day or two and 3 days later I went back and they had a big filler inlet welded on top and larger nipple out the bottom in it.  I used it for years to put molasses mix out with for cattle putting just a tad bit of air pressure on it 10-15 lbs. or less to help push thick molasses out faster.  Idiot neighbor cut a old big propane tank just filled with water right in front of his house and said it huffed on him a few times.  I asked if he had to clean his pants out and he said not funny and wouldn't comment lol.  Some people just get very lucky but the next one never gets to tell about it. 
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-26-2009 05:25
I met a guy who for several years made a living scrapping rusted residential propane tanks in Florida. He torched several holes in each one, the requirement for the scrap yard. He said that on ocasion, one would "flare". A stranger started questioning Him about what He was doing, he said He had been doing it for 10 years [a lie]. The stranger turned out to be the insurance inspector for the scrap yard. He was satisfied with the story, and gave Him the phone #s for several locations that had accumulated a lot of condemed tanks that needed to be procesed.

I would have been suspicious of the story, but He showed Me pictures of the old school bus with the roof cut off and a small crane mounted on it He used to handle the tanks.

SOME GUYS ARE LUCKEY, AT LEAST FOR A WHILE.

A "professional" scrapper was cutting an old [really large] fuel oil tank down the road 2 miles from Our house. It blew up, killing Him. The explosion rattled Our house.
His brother, another "professional" scrapper said in the newspaper article, that the tank must have contained gasoline, because "Oil won't blow."

When I was a kid I was brazing a hole in the oil pan of a friends car while it was on the engine. The vapors went off like a shotgun. I came out from under that car fast as a lightning bolt. I then went back and finished the job "before it got a fresh load of air". I was luckey enough not to get hurt.

I no longer have the casual attitude of My youth.
Parent - By sparksandslag (**) Date 11-26-2009 05:33
It's kind of like Chuck Yeager said about test pilots---"There's old pilots and there's bold pilots, but there's no OLD BOLD pilots.  Hopefully our lessons are learned in time for us to have the maturity to pass our knowledge on to those who are still young and bold.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hilarious!