Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / discision on new machine
- - By burleigh26 (**) Date 11-23-2009 00:01
Im looking at buying a new machine and trying to figure which one i want.  i looked at other threads on the difference.  but im looking between lincoln 300D, advantage 300, or miller pro 300.  i mainly weld structure and pipe but not on the fire line but i may one day though.  i own two sa200's and they burn to much fuel, just fuel running 5 12's is a hard hit on the checks.  i really like the 300D but looking at the future and what yalls opinion is.       thanks luke
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 11-23-2009 00:26
Tell us what kind of welding you would like to do in the future. That will give us a better idea wich welder you need to invest in. Some of us swear by to many different machines to give a unbioused opinion. they are all good machines.
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 11-23-2009 02:27
i would like to get more into pipe line. but for now its mainly structure, marine work, and sometimes pipe jobs. ive welded up to 2" plate.  i run alot of heat, and prolly about to get on a new job and they dont run anything under 3/16 rods.  they told me i better get a diesel or i will fill that 200 up by 1 o'clock.  if i rolled to test for pipe what would they say about having an avantage on the bed.  i love my 83' 200 but i spent enough money on it and my 57' to by a new 300D. but man they weld so nice when they are running good.  im thinking more toward a 300D,  i really dont need any a/c power, if i run lights i hook to the boats generator. 
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-23-2009 07:42 Edited 11-23-2009 07:53
Just like playing pool or any other skill, it's not the equipment that makes the person succeed... It's the person's own ability to overcome adversity and rise above regardless of the handicap... For instance, I remember meeting this gentleman a few years ago in Chi-town (Chicago, Ill) that was such a darn good pool player that he beat many-in fact, all of his opponents that night with only the use of a broom stick, and most of his opponents had their own fairly expensive personal pool cues.

I mean, could you imagine what this person could do with some good equipment??? The next weekend, he did come to play with his own cue and was just as successful which only reinforces my point... And that is this... It doesn't matter what equipment one is using because what is more important is the skill level of the individual attempting to succeed in whatever endeavor they choose to compete at and this applies to welding as well up to a point, because their some very rare occasions where one will run across a machine that does not work properly which would definitely impede the individual from performing the task successfully and this is the exception to my point - CAPECHE???

So, it's not so much that the equipment that makes the person since it more dependant of what the person is capable of in conditions where the person is capable of overcoming the obvious handicap by applying their skill which will shine through regardless so long as the individual can still perform the task at hand! ;)

The only advantage of using better equipment is the fact that it makes it easier on the individual to perform the task easier and with more consistency, but it doesn't always mean that the task can only be completed successfully with inferior or less expensive equipment. However, if you're going to compete with the big dogs, then get yourself a Vantage by Lincoln because then you will have the "ADVANTAGE" over the rest that don't!!! ;) ;) ;) Besides. I've seen how they're built, I've had the opportunity to experience how they weld, and I've also experienced the Miller equivalent and hands down, the Lincoln Vantage is the one to have on your Rig! ;) If you're going to gouge a a bunch more than usual, The Miller Big Blue can take more abuse and this is what I've heard from repair techs that I've kept in touch with over the years. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By burleigh26 (**) Date 11-24-2009 00:08
ssbn727, i understand what you are saying.  I rope calves and love seeing these guys pull up to the rodeo with 150 thousand dollar rigs with a high dollar horse but cant rope. i pull up with my older rig and with my practice horse, while they are still laughing at my rig, im at the pay window taking there money.  I started welding with my dads bobcat, when i made enough i bought my first 200, and kept going from there.  but like you said, heck i didnt like the way that bobcat welded but i learned how to work with it.  i try welding with every machine i can, never know if you haved to work single hand and they got you a hobart on the yard.  thats a good point too, lot of people think by having the best, it will make them a better roper, welder, etc...
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 11-23-2009 00:28
I used to have a 68 SA200 and it drank the fuel. When it started to give me some problems I reserched new welders and decided the Lincoln 300D was the best machine for what I needed. Now If you need something that has a lot of AC power the 300D only has 3000W. A Vantage or Pro 300 might better suit your needs if thats what your looking for. I personally dont care for the Vantages that much but that is a matter of personal opinion, Im sure Cactus will tell you all about the Vantage welders. Hope this helps you out. If you have any questions about the 300D i would be glad to answer them for you.
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 11-23-2009 01:20
MY RULE OF THUMB ABOUT ANY WELDING MACHINE IS NOT TO RUN IT AT NEAR OR MAX CAPACITY , OR MIN CAPACITY. I LIKE IN THE MID RANGE. SO LIKE IT WAS SAID EARLIER WHAT ARE YOUR NEEDS, THEN I WOULD GET A MACHINE THAT WOULD FALL IN THE MIDDLE. RUN A MACHINE AT MAX CAPICITY IT WILL WEAR OUT FASTER AND RUN ONE AT MIN AND YOU WASTE FUEL OR ELECTRICITY.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-23-2009 01:33
Vantage 400 It will do it all and then some. 40+ Hrs on a tank of fuel. Structure Pipe Or Whatever else you want to weld.  I still think Lincoln should stop making all other machines !
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 11-23-2009 02:28
hey cactus, have you gone and bought the compact yet.  if so how do you like it.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-23-2009 11:38
I have ! The Vantage 500 Compact is on my Personal truck. It is BY FAR the best Vantage yet. It even has a Arc Gouging Mode. You may not Gouge much, But it is nice to have if you need it. Not to mention 22k watts of ac power. Anyone that tells you these machines will not run Pipe or X-ray is full of it. We do it every day.
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 11-23-2009 23:53
how much that 500C run you, if you dont mind me asking.  i like the 300D but im thinking hard about the 500 compact.  i figure if i ever need a little extra the 500C has it all.  do you like it more than the V300.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-24-2009 00:24
The Vantage 300 and 400 are nice. I own a 300 400 and a 500 compact. The 500 compact is 13,300.00 through my dealer. That was about 3 months ago. I am sure they are 700-1000 cheaper now because of the economy. I would not trade my 500 compact for 2 Vantage 300's Yes, I like it that much more.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-23-2009 02:51
Im not a pipeline welder and on a side note I am also looking at the Pro 300 for my personal use. We do structural, repair, heavy CAC gouging, buildup and plant maintenance with the Air Vantage 500 and Big Blue Air Packs at a World Class Copper Mine. As a Manager over a large Maintenance operation and 12 years of single hand experience in this field I have an opinion of what I like in both respects. These machines are obviously not what you are looking for but they are similar. For field and structural work I would go with either the Vantage 300/400 or the Pro 300/BigBlue 400. The deciding factor for me would be what other equipment you are wanting to use from the power source. Both the Vantage and Pro 300's CV output and auxiliary AC power are much better than the 300D IMO. The fuel economy of the Pro 300 is the best and it does have the "Vault" for the pc board. This is a really great idea that Lincoln should copy. The mine I am currently working at is a new operation as of mid 07. All the machines were bought new before startup so they are all the same age and are all used equally. The Millers have had absolutely no problems or break down in 2 ½ years of harsh use in well over 110 degree heat during the long Arizona summer. All machines gouge at least 25% of the time with 3/8 carbons and there are times when machines gouge for days on end. When we have these conditions we use the Millers because the Vantage machines will not hold up to that abuse. We have had to pull 5 of the Vantage machines off the trucks and send them out for repair because of this problem. For this reason I am sold on the Millers and don’t plan on buying any more Air Vantage machines. My Welders like both the machines as far as their arc characteristics and of course some guys are die hard Red or Blue.
My situation for what I do and the equipment that I already own for my personal use is pushing me to the Pro 300. I am going to rent one and see how I like it. Plug in all my accessories and run it through the paces. If I were just starting out and didn’t have other considerations to make as I do I don’t think I would be scared of the Vantage or Pro 300. I think they are both really good machines and each have options that the other does not. If I were going to do nothing but SMAW I would go with the 300D or the like. But in todays world with the competition and economy the way it is I would really consider a machine with superior CV output, there is a bunch of X80 pipe going in the ground that is being welded in the field with GMAW. Personal preference is a huge deciding factor! Rent each of them and see what you like.
I hope this helped...
Wade
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 11-23-2009 03:23
weldwade, thanks.  if we gouge then we rent. i like the a/c power so if i ever need it, ill have it.  i dont like running lights because it keeps me from working in the dark, but i have already been called out t night nd worked in the dark, man does that suck.  im a lincoln man but whats funny is my dad has a bobcat 250 he bought for the generator, and i have had both my 200's in the shop and that bobcat is how i got any paychecks.  i just dont care for the way it weld  but its got me out of alot binds.  i just cant make my dorn mind up for some reason.
Parent - By rondar (*) Date 11-23-2009 03:49
I weld mostly pipeline and I have a 200D because of the fact that you can lower the RPM's and carry more metal. The type of welding you are doing I would say that the 300D or the Vantage would be for you. You can weld heavy iron or pipe with these machines. They also are great on fuel consumption.
                                                   RJS
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 11-23-2009 13:59
I also do mostly pipeline welding so that was a deciding factor in buying my Lincoln 300D. I bought my machine based on what I would be doing most with it and that was Downhill welding. I have not gouged with it and dont plan on it.
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-24-2009 01:48
I own a Vantage 400 with a perkins and love it. I work mainly on compressor and pump stations and I'm here to tell ya, if you're not an everyday mainliner, buy a Vantage. You might not think that the extra aux. power, CV, and touch-start tig are that important, but once you have it you'll wounder how you made it this long with out it. Your helper or fitter can be prep.ing your next weld while your welding. I've had 2-9'' grinders running and welding at about 185 amps and you can't tell any difference. If you don't get a Vantage I still would recomemd anything with a Perkins motor.
Parent - By cdd (**) Date 11-24-2009 02:46 Edited 11-24-2009 02:49
all the machines mentioned are good machines. I weld pipeline and just recently bought a vantage 300 and love it. I used to run an old SA200 so it took a little getting used to but ounce I figured out where to put my heat i was impressed. The pipepro is a good machine also they just dont take tight gaps like the Lincoln will when runnin beads. The vantage and the pipepro are starting to be seen more and more on pipeline jobs. The 200d and 300d weld great also but they been around and are well known so you dont have to say anything about those. Thats my two cents good luck.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / discision on new machine