Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig bronze
- - By phaux (***) Date 11-26-2009 14:59
Have a customer that wants a bronze statue welded on. Any special filler to use or way to do this? Have done, stainless, aluminum, mild steel, cast iron, and copper, but never done bronze.
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 11-26-2009 15:35
I did a small repair on a Elk bronze a few years ago. I tig welded it with some very small brass filler rod, color match was close and the repaired section was not noticable.  Very liquid puddle . I still have some of the rod but dont have a clue as to the make-up.
Hope it goes good for you
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-26-2009 17:08
Silicon Bronze TIG wire is what sculptors use to make them. Don't worry because you bought too much for the job. S/B is amazing stuff to have in your supplies, It will weld on most anything (use Search function for several discussions on this filler) and can be used as a "TIG Brazing type process".
Silicon Bronze can even be purchased in GMAW wire spools.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-26-2009 17:19
Oh yes, and just use pure Argon for sheilding gas.
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 11-26-2009 18:11
I have a bunch of Silicon bronze wire up to 1/4" I got in a welding supplier buy out. I even have some brass based welding electrodes that worked well for fixing cracked valves and housings.
Must be part nickel as it welds much like cast rod. It is nice to have some odd stock when your an hour from a weld supply.  Some of the stuff farmers come up with...
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 11-27-2009 02:04
Can you weld bronze to other metals? Such as one time I welded copper to mild steel.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-27-2009 03:01
I have seen bronze bearing material overlayed on mild steel.
Parent - By norsky63 (**) Date 11-27-2009 11:49
I have welded brass wear plate to steel on a crusher.the wear plate was 3/8" thick and the steel 4". lots of pre heat, only could weld a few inches at a time.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-27-2009 18:11
Silicon bronze will weld on mild to high carbon steels just fine as long as proper preheat is used
Parent - By devo (***) Date 12-08-2009 13:19
silicon bronze is recommended to join steel to copper, copper to copper, and I have used it for steel to steel.  I have heard from the car guys that it is useful for joining thin parts where distortion is an issue.  Experiment to find out the proper settings, as you don't want to melt the base metal, and it is easy to go too slow and increase your total heat input if your amps aren't high enough.
Parent - By phaux (***) Date 12-12-2009 10:26
Welded it up yesterday. Welded just fine, welded stainless to bronze. It acts a bit funny when your starting a puddle as it soaks up a bunch of heat before it gets a puddle and then you can't really see the puddle at first. You just sort of have to know when to add the silicone bronze and it'll suddenly soak it up. It also smokes and crackles at first when you get the puddle going.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig bronze