Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stair step thickness?
- - By phaux (***) Date 11-28-2009 20:31
Building a set of stairs for a customer that wants the steps to be four feet by one foot. Would 1/8" diamond plate with 1"x1" angle around the bottom perimeter of each step do the trick?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-28-2009 20:37
I would go with 1/4 Plate with 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 Angle. The 1/8 is actually 11 gauge (I think) and will most likley fail. Is this Steel or Aluminum Material ?
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 11-28-2009 21:27
Steel
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-28-2009 23:00
Then As I said Before. Also Diamond plate is Also known as Floor Plate. It is acceptable for stair treads
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 11-28-2009 20:41
Why not use catwalk grating?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-28-2009 21:05
phaux,

You might want to check code requirements before you make a decision or you could end up in a law suit.  OSHA requires the strength of fixed stairways to be designed and constructed to carry a load of five times the normal live load anticipated but never of less strength than to carry safely a moving concentrated load of 1,000 pounds.

I'd think that the 1/8 treads backed with L1 x 1 that you suggested over a 4 foot width would not be stiff enough.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 11-28-2009 21:30
I'll check into it. On a side question, does OSHA govern residential work? I was told certain codes are only required for public and commercial properties and do not apply to residential.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 11-28-2009 22:08
If it for a public building you may be subject to ADA and fire codes but probably not OSHA . The best bet is let your customer be responsible for finding out what codes apply. If its residential OSHA has nothing to do with it. Just check local building codes.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-28-2009 22:27
That is exactly what Scott already said earlier... OSHA doesn't write Code, but if it's not constructed to the applicable governing code then OSHA finds out that someone was injured as result, or someone brings it to their attention, then OSHA can fine the responsible parties involved for violating the applicable building codes/standards with respect to safety no matter what type of structure is involved including residential and this what Scott meant with his reply.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 11-28-2009 21:28
Diamond plate is what was requested by the customer.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 11-28-2009 23:05
phaux,

I was just suggesting that whatever you do, be sure to C.Y.A., because should a service failure occur, you could be held partially responsible.  At the very least, I'd suggest that you have some sort of documentation stating that you've built the stairs in accordance with your customer's specifications, and have your customer sign it.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-29-2009 00:34
phaux,  Stairs(and handrail) are 75% of what we do 1/4 is always used if over 3' wide and we bend a 1"-1 1/2" lip on the front edge to stiffen the width . ( If chk. plt.)
Parent - By phaux (***) Date 11-29-2009 14:55
Would a bend at the front of each stair be enough or should the perimeter be done with angle iron? I'm using 10" C channel for the stringers by the way. Here's a neat calculator online I found for anyone interested:

http://www.blocklayer.com/stairs/stairseng.aspx
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 11-29-2009 00:54 Edited 11-29-2009 01:00
phaux
For stairs that wide we generally use 1/4" floor plate as Cactus mentioned but this is when they are bent full pans when they are just treads with a broke nosing and back we generally use 3'8". Both the full pans and the 3/8" treads are able to give the required strength per square foot required by our local Codes.
But as mentioned by others you need something to cover your butt whether it be a signed approval of the customer or more importantly if they are to be used for public access you need the engineer of record's approval.
The attachment is the full pan I am referring to I hope you can see the pan breaks and how they weld together to give the strength in the center of the 4', The horse angles as we refer to the angle supports are either 1 1/4" X 1/4"or 1 1/2" X 1/4" Angle
Good Luck
Marshall
Attachment: img052.jpg (32k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stair step thickness?