Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welder Qualification
- - By qaqcmpm (*) Date 11-29-2009 03:16
Is it acceptable to qulify the welders using production test in EN 287-1? Like ASME Sec IX approves the welder qualification by test coupon and production test?
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-29-2009 13:51
i may be wrong, but i think 287-1 not stated the use of production test.
if the project engineer allows you, then why cannot..
Parent - - By qaqcmpm (*) Date 11-30-2009 03:15
No project engineer. It is a PED job. AI says if the code pemits you can use.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-30-2009 03:35
qaqcmpm,
What welding process ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-30-2009 09:02 Edited 11-30-2009 15:55
qaqcmpm,
No - En 287-1 does not permit production tests as ASME sec. IX does.
The qualification test has to be witnessed by an examining body.

In addition to RT/UT some welding processes also require some mechanical testing.
You will end up in trouble if you dont purchase a copy of EN 287-1

EDIT: Thanks for the "1 star" rating Henry, you missarable piece of sh*t :)
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-30-2009 15:32

does it really mentioned not to permit the use of production test in 287-1?
how if we invite the examining body to witness the production test?
i try to understand the difference between production test and test conducted in welding booth.  

most inspectors will not allow the unqualified welder to start the production weld but there are sometimes
agreement between the contractor and owner to qualifiy the welder based on production weld which is to be witnessed
by tpi.

bert
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-30-2009 15:53
bert,

No, it does not say directly that you can't.
Make no mistake here ---> just because it's written that you can't, does not per default mean that you can :)

If you base your qualification on a weld which is part of the production, you will be a bit limited on qualification range in terms of positions.

Since you already has invited the tpi to witness the production weld, why not do a correct test?
As I mentioned before, some welding processes requires mechanical tests in addition to RT/UT

Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-30-2009 16:18

i guess there is no time to prepare the test coupons :) , there is no welding booth available and the owner agreed to do the testing quickly in 3G / 5G / 2G :)
the welding process is tig or mmaw to use for butt welding.

based on code only, what processes require mechanical tests in addition to RT/UT?

bert
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 11-30-2009 18:07
Mr. Lee,
I may be wrong, but based on your posts it seems that you are attempting to qualify welders without having in your possession a copy of the relevant standard to which they are to be qualified.  Please be advised that if this is indeed the case, it could be a grave mistake.
Regards,
Mankenberg
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 12-01-2009 13:54
Mr Kip,

thanks for your advise.

it is true that you must have a copy of the relevant standard or code.

but at worksite, you will hardly find a good copy... i've seen codes / std in the main office and no one cares to use them.

there are people who likes to read but do not understand how to apply what they've read.

i find it much easy and less risk to get those reliable third party inspection firm that provides free information on testing / inspection requirements.

regards

bert
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 12-01-2009 16:53
There's a difference between hiring a consultant to tell you what the code says and asking us to tell you for free.

Go to the main office and dust off the code and read it for yourself.

Hg
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 12-01-2009 04:27
3.2 is correct.

Table 10 of EN 287-1 2004 states " when radiographic testing is used, then additional bend or fracture tests are mandatory for welding processes 131, 135, 136 (only metal core wire) and 311.

131 -Metal Inert Gas welding (MIG)
135 -Metal Active Gas welding (MAG)
136 -Tubular Cored Metal Arc Welding with Actice Gas Shield
311 -Oxy-Acetylene Welding
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welder Qualification