Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question about alum. wire welding off a SA250
- - By nevadanick (**) Date 11-29-2009 19:57
Hello,  I was wondering if anyone here has used an aluminum spoolgun off of a lincoln sa250 ?
If so, how well did it work ?,  all of my alum. welding experience has been ac tig. I did get to play with one of those push pull setups at the local comm. college, I think it was the "miller xr control " or somthing.  It worked great.

I was looking at spoolguns and it seems they all need a module, and of course a machine with cv dc output.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-30-2009 03:04
There are voltage sensing controlers for spool guns, and aluminum is generally done with spray transfer, so You might be able to get good enough results even without a CV kit on Your machine. You would be looking for a controler with a contactor as well.

Your machine has AC Aux. power doesn't it? Most, but not all controlers use AC Aux. power.
Parent - By nevadanick (**) Date 11-30-2009 14:24
Yes my machine has AC power and a CV adapter with an Internal contactor.
Thanks for the response, I keep turning some work down because i cant do aluminum in the field.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 11-30-2009 12:56
Hello nevadanick
I run the lincoln magnum sg spool gun w/control box, Y splitter w/remote voltage control. That way you can use the internal contactor in the cv module. Allso hookup a cobramatic 1A. This to a classic II sa250. Works great.
  Tom
Parent - - By nevadanick (**) Date 12-01-2009 15:49
Really ?,  What type of alum. material do you typically weld on ?, What size and type of wire do you use ?
Is the wire friendly to out of position welding ?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-01-2009 18:24
Nick

Just about any good CV power supply can do a good job on aluminum thicker than 1/8".....

If you have a spool gun or push-pull, 4043 leaves a bit less smut and wets better at the toes. (of course there are other considerations like color match for annodize and minimum tensile strength)

If you are trying to push wire straight through the liner from the feeder (not advisable in the field) than 5356 is a bit stiffer and tends to reduce bird nesting to some degree.

Because of the high thermal conductivity, aluminum welds pretty easily in all positions even in the spray transfer mode.. Trouble comes more often from surface prep issues.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 12-01-2009 20:13
Nick
Lawrence hit the nail on the head there, 1/8" is about the minumum. I have welded thinner but it's tough. I usually weld on 5052 using .030" or .035" 4043.
I didnt like the way 5356 ran. It was recomended to me to use 5356 because of it's better strength so I did some distructive bend test and it is a lot stronger so I forsed myself to use it but I have been welding with the 5356 latley with the feeders hooked to a invertec w pulse.
When you get it dialed in and get use to welding aluminum, welding out of position is a sinch. Just have to remember the 3 C's clean,clean, and clean again and wear your tennis shoes cause your gona have to run to keep up!
Tom
Parent - - By nevadanick (**) Date 12-01-2009 23:51
Thanks for the advise, I think im gonna go with a lincoln spool gun and controller
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-02-2009 04:23
I use the old Airco 20-E spool gun on My shop machine and have one for my engine drive as well, should the ned arise.

Here is a current version of it. http://www.weldmart.com/AEC%20SPOOL%20GUN%20MASTER.htm
Parent - - By nevadanick (**) Date 12-03-2009 04:16
hey thats a cool gun, do you use it with a contoller ?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-04-2009 02:08 Edited 12-04-2009 02:19
Yes, the controller provides 24 VDC for the motor and has a resistor and 2 relays for contactor control and "inching" the wire without closing the contactor. I have the old type speed control, which works OK, but I expect the newer ones to work even better. There are 2 of these on eBay right now, an old blue Miller and a red Airco unit.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2464&_nkw=Airco&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1

I don't have experience with the other brands. I have had Mine for about 10 years, but only put about 15-20 # of wire through it. I havn't had any problems.

One of my friends has an MK Prince spool gun, it seems like a good one too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question about alum. wire welding off a SA250