Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / A first for me in 10 years of being a CWI
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 11-30-2009 10:43
In May of this year as new employee of this company, working on my second project I experienced a first for me in 10 years of being a CWI.
We where given a window project and the only thing provided was a drawing, on the drawing in the notes the Ground Combat Vehicle Code- Steel 12479550 non-critical was specified. We qualified all of the WPS’s and the welders per this code.
We had completed the PPAP run, submitted the FAI to the customer, with the FAI being accepted the customers came and audited our system. They verified that we qualified the WPS’s and the welders, and they surveyed our internal system and accepted our work.
  Now 6 months later I’m asked to number the welds on the drawing and create an itemized checklist from table 6.1 detailing each weld. I have a problem with this request because we were not informed of this requirement at the time that we made this product.
  I write a statement saying that we qualified the project per code and that the inspections were to the table 6.1.  And added a statement to the best of my memory that the weld call-out on 2 of the welds had conflict with the length – pitch and a note 8 on the print specifying a specific length of continuous weld and that these issues were submitted to the customer and approved.
  Now the DCMA of the customer is refusing the work because my statement is signifying mistrust and that they cannot work in this type of situation.
  I do not see where mistrust is a issue and I will not back date anything from 6 months past.
  Am I wrong? I try to do things right and to do the right thing.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 11-30-2009 16:10
Martin,

I have many years in dealing with the Government.  My experience is to make them happy.  There's no point in arguing. 

I had a massive DCMA audit last year.  They checked everything.  The government person had a problem with one of the weld samples (the Codes were the Ground Combat Code and AWS D1.3). 

The sample was acceptable to me.  I never would have submitted it to him if it weren't. 

I invited them into our shop and we began to weld.  The inspector actually held the torch and gave training/work instructions to our welders.  We welded until he was happy.  I learned many things that day.

He spotted our supply of anti-spatter spray while he was waiting.  He went on and on about it.  He said never use it on any of his parts.  It causes rust.  I placed the cans in the trash.

We passed the audit and received about a dozen reoccurring jobs.  I'm preparing for his return visit in January.  Be positive and make them happy.  The government wants good parts and all their concerns answered.

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-30-2009 18:12
DCMA is a magnet for the most detail-oriented (or, as it has been said, A-R) inspectors in the history of the world.  I have had many experiences with these guys where what Keith says is very true: make them happy and they generally are happy.  However I will caution you about how to go about making them happy here. 

I had my DCMA inspector come in to do source on a part, and she wanted to see some certs for base material.  No problem, I hand them over.  Well, the certs were correct, right chemistry, etc., and then she wanted to see the purchase order.  The PO had all the right info on it as well.  Then she went back to the certs...and then she handed me the BOL and said she couldn't accept the work.  Why?  Because the heat number was not printed on the BOL, so there was no traceability from the PO# to the MTR.  So I asked if a corrected MTR could be sent by the vendor...and here's where she got bristly about it.  Nope, that could be considered mistrust and breach (I can't cite DFARs without looking them up, but it's in one of them :) ).  We had to either remake the parts with traceable material or have the material tested somehow.  Luckily, I managed to find a drop and sent it to the local lab.

If I were in your shoes, I would find out from the inspector exactly what objective evidence he/she needs to see in order to meet the requirement.  Then you can formulate a corrective action from there.  The point is to meet the requirement, and each inspector will have a unique interpretation of the requirement.  When dealing with DCMA, always try to deal with the same inspector for the length of a project!
Parent - By ZJG Date 12-04-2009 13:19
GOOD LUCHY
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / A first for me in 10 years of being a CWI