Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / API 1104
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 11-30-2009 21:33
When i Took my original CWI exam I used the API 1104 code book for my test.  Does this mean that i am qualified to inspect pipeline under API
1104 guidelines or do i have to take an additional API 1104 test my CWI license just says  AWS QC-1 it says nothing about which test i qualified under
Thanks  Joe
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 11-30-2009 23:14
joe pirie
I messed up before by explaining about as a CWI you qualified to interpret codes. Interpret is not the word I should use according to some.
But the Code you used to take the code part of the test is just that. You are qualified to inspect welds using other applicable codes. You proved you had the ability to look up the different criteria for inspection and determine if the weld conforms to the applicable code.
CWI card doesn't list code but you can get endorsements and that card would contain the Code tested in.
Have Code Book can inspect tho.
Marshall
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-01-2009 16:23
API 1104 does not recognize AWS CWI.
1104 is not a code. It is a Standard. Pipelines fall under ASME B31.4 or B31.8 which are codes.
To be a welding inspector on a pipeline you must meet the requirements of Section 8.3 Qualification of Inspection Personnel
Welding inspection personnel shall be qualified by experience and training for the specific inspection task they perform.  Their qualification shall be acceptable to the company
Documentation of these qualifications shall be retained by the company and shall include but not be limited to the following.
1. Education and experience
2. Training
3. Results of any qualification examinations

The AWS 1104 endorsement may or may not be acceptable to the pipeline company.
Some inspection companies recognize the AWS CWI as meeting the above 3 requirements and DOT OPS does not disagree. Note I do not say they agree.
It is up to the pipeline company to determine what level of education, experience and training constitutes a qualified inspector per API 1104
All things being equal a two inspectors with identical backgrounds but one is a CWI and one is not, the CWI gets the job. However if you have worked on a pipeline for more that three hours you learn all things being equal is funny.
Things are a lot better now that 20 years ago.
This being said, API is looking at establishing a pipeline inspector qualification test similar to the 510,570, 653 programs. I hope this is is not rumor as this would establish the minimums for pipeline inspectors. Having a CWI would put you ahead of the other inspectors who do not have it.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-01-2009 17:29
dbigkahunna
You didn't read his post? He said he tested for CWI with API 1104 Code, But stated his card did not list said code, just QC1.

http://www.aws.org/education/cwi_seminar.html

API 1104 Code Clinic
This four-hour course covers general code provisions, including qualification of welding procedures for welds containing filler metal additions, design and preparation of the joint for production welding, nondestructive testing and acceptance standards, and automatic welding with and without filler metal additions. Attendees will practice open codebook testing under time constraints.
NOTE: Clinic fee does not include a copy of API 1104, Welding Pipelines and Related Facilities (20th Edition). API 1104 may be purchased from WEX at (888) 935-3464. Attendees will receive our study guide, AWS API Code Clinic Reference Manual.

BY ATTENDING, YOU CAN LEARN:
API 1104 testing requirements and acceptance criteria.
The proper terminology that gets you to the right section of the code  quickly.
How to use any code, standard or specification by understanding the core of the problem or question.
Note: You MUST purchase your own copy of API 1104, Welding of Pipelines and Related Facilities (20th Edition). AWS does not supply this codebook. Contact WEX at www.awspubs.com or phone (888) WELDING (935-3464) to purchase your copy of API 1104, 20th Edition.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-02-2009 00:24
Uh yes
"Does this mean that i am qualified to inspect pipeline under API 1104 guidelines or do i have to take an additional API 1104 test my CWI license just says  AWS QC-1 it says nothing about which test i qualified under" is what I read.
Did I miss something?
My answer was to this question.
You can take classes up the wazoo and have your CWI stamped with the president's signature and it is still up to the pipeline company to determine if the endorsement qualifies as training and or experience. So far no pipeline company I deal with requires the welding inspector have a CWI let alone one with a 1104 endorsement. API 1104 ASME B31.4 and B31.8 does not state a CWI is recognized unless they have been changed lately.
Also I have inspected on pipelines with and without my CWI and do not have a 1104 endorsement.
In fact I have never had to prove my CWI was valid for any pipeline company I have work for.
Tank work and plants are another thing. Go figure
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / API 1104