Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Side seam welds on metal deck
- - By apodesta (*) Date 12-01-2009 17:32
Good morning gentlemen, i have a question re: side seam welds on metal deck...
Reference D1.3 2008, joint 4.5B...
In section 6.Inspection I see no provision/allowance for melt through...
Figures 4.5B clearly shows the joint design welded with no melt through, and figure 2.12B shows crimping as a  means to prevent weld melt through...
I am assuming that there is zero tolerance for melt through, and that an allowance of would be at the engineer of record's discretion...

I believe that the welders could have easily set their machine to achieve the weld without melt through...

I just want to get some feedback before I reject all side seam welds...

Thanks in advance,

-Andrew
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-01-2009 18:15
I don't have my current copy of D1.3 with me, but I agree with you, that no melt-through is permitted. They should go back and reweld the joint so that there isn't any melt-through showing. The welders know this, they had to take a qualification test for this joint. The melt-through is a place for the deck to start ripping when loaded.

Hopefully someone else with a copy of D1.3 handy can verify this, because I'm going from memory and that is dangerous.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Side seam welds on metal deck