Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / When is a groove weld, a fillet weld ?
- - By steveho (*) Date 05-20-2002 17:34
Ran across another unusual weld joint. It's basically a slip joint like in socket welding, except it's a structural tubular assembly with one side of the joint slipping over the internal lip of the other. The piece that slips under the other, is thicker and only the O.D's match up in the finished weld. The 'slip over' side of the joint is beveled and it's opposite adjoining member's external geometry resembles a square butt on that side of joint. At a glance, the joint appears to be a single-bevel CJP with a backing strip integral with only one member. I'm sort of inclined to call this fillet weld that only looks like groove weld. The joint doesn't look like it would fall into any prequalified designs, except for a fillet weld. What's anybody else's take on this oddball ?
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 05-20-2002 18:12
Can you post a sketch or illistration?

Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 05-20-2002 18:19
I would only agree with you that this is a fillet weld, if you do not "fill" the entire "groove" created by the joint geometry. It would then be a fillet weld on a lap joint. If you do fill the entire "groove", then this joint is of a butt configuration and as such, can by definition not be a fillet weld.

Just my opinion!

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / When is a groove weld, a fillet weld ?