Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / couple of weld tests
- - By Jacob Cassady (*) Date 12-03-2009 05:58
I have a couple of weld tests coming up next week. I'm taking a pipe test in the 6G position and a vertical GTAW. Looking forward to having a couple more certs under my belt. Haven't bent a practice pipe yet, but I bent a practice GTAW tonight and everything went well. Not too worried about the pipe though. I've done it enough that everything should go well. I ran my root on my GMAW plate tonight at 200A. It didn't seem like it was too hot to me. Felt like it went in real smooth too. Anyone else run it that hot? Everyone in my class was kinda shocked that I ran it that hot.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-03-2009 07:15
"I ran my root on my GMAW plate tonight at 200A. It didn't seem like it was too hot to me. Felt like it went in real smooth too. Anyone else run it that hot? Everyone in my class was kinda shocked that I ran it that hot. "  

Well when we know what your  GMAW PLATE is   I.E. Alloy, Thickness, Joint, Position, Filler Alloy/thickness, and gas applied........then someone may be able to comment on your 200amp root pass.   Other then that      \

Good luck on your tests!!
Tommy
Parent - - By Jacob Cassady (*) Date 12-03-2009 15:52
First I should give you the right process. I meant GTAW not GMAW, sorry about that it was late when I posted it. It was 1/2" plate mild steel with a backing bar in vertical position.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 12-04-2009 04:13
That should be hot enought with backing. I usually fill and cap pipe at bout 150-175. Depending on rod size and pipe thickness. But if ur using 1/8 rod. I would do it at bout 170. But i dont know how you weld. No welder is alike i think. O and remember dont just run over the rod, make sure to feed it while welding, and look on the sides and in front of the puddle to make sure ur getting good fusion.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / couple of weld tests