Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Brass Brazing - - Health Issues
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 12-03-2009 17:23
Hi all,
Me and some of the students in the weld class I'm part of have had some similar health related issues after brazing with a brass rod. I am not sure of the classification, but it has a smooth white flux covering on it. After using it we had the following symptoms: Fever / "shakes", nausea, and vomiting. I know to keep my head out of the smoke. Probably didn't, student mistakes.

So i have come to the conclusion either some of us need to work on our safety procedures, or that we all might have been sharing a bug.

Has anyone become ill after brass brazing?? Or am i just jumping to conclusions.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-03-2009 17:35
weldstudent
I imagine it was a form of Fume Fever.
Welding Fume
in the Workplace

http://www.aiha.org/localsections/html/NTS/0602News1.pdf
Don't Breath It LoL
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 12-03-2009 17:44
Sounds like mild cadmium poisoning.  This is dangerous over time.  There are some things you can do.  Try positioning an exhaust hose closer to the work.  If possible, work on a downdraft table.  Wear an appropriate respirator (not a dust mask).  Whatever you do, keep your head out of the fumes!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-03-2009 18:38
Remember the Turd Herder's rule #1... DON'T BITE YOUR FINGERNAILS!
Seriously though, wash you hands afterwards, ie. don't eat, smoke etc while brazing
Parent - - By sparksandslag (**) Date 12-04-2009 00:40
I've heard welders say that if you get the "fume fever" that you need to really chug the milk down to counter-act it.  Is there anything to this, or is it just an urban legend?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-04-2009 07:38 Edited 12-04-2009 07:43
If you are getting symptoms like that you definitely are getting overexposure to the fumes off the flux and the brass.   Brass smokes a lot and its not good for you at all......yall all have a sit down with your instructor and talk this situation out.   See if together you can identify the causes and then brainstorm some solutions with what you have to work with to keep everyone safe.   It is bad work practice to live with exposures that cause harm and they have no place in the modern working world....so you certainly should not accept them in a learning environment.

The chugging of milk is more or less related to zinc oxide(??) poisoning from welding on zinc plated materials...I would imagine the same could be said for cadmium which is far worse but causes the same kind of symptoms initially.   It is not a urban legend.... it actually does help.  The biochemical process by which it does work I have no idea....but it lessens the symptoms quite a bit if it is ingested early enough.   I know two former coworkers who where hospitalized from welding on zinc plating....we were working under very bad conditions and everyone would drink milk after exposure...it helped, but I have no idea if it truly medically staved off the poisoning or simply treated the symptoms. Milk is good at absorbing things during cooking like the flavor of too much salt...so perhaps it can absorb some of the poisons and help carry them out of the body??

Since we are on the subject of welding myths sort of.....    If you get a flashburn in your eyes,  taking white potato slice and then smashing it up inside a clean rag and then squeezing the juice from the rag into your eyeball does give a bit of relief to the pain.  THe laying potato slices on your eyelids did not do squat for me but the juice worked ok.   The pontiCANE at the hospital worked fabulous tho....made the potato pale in comparison LOL!  
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-04-2009 11:00
Tommyjoking
To add to your remedy's, I always found a 5th of rum worked well till I turned 35 or so and then the headaches the ext day were the killer. LoL
Marshall
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-05-2009 02:32 Edited 12-05-2009 02:35
The fumes should be removed by proper ventilation as close to the work as possible. Being carefull NOT TO OVERHEAT THE BRONZE will reduce the ammount of fumes. There are cad free brazing rods, be sure You are using them. Zinc is one of the metals in brass, no getting around that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Brass Brazing - - Health Issues