Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualification A706 to A36 is it D1.1 or D1.4
- - By deckerfaw Date 12-04-2009 16:03
D1.4
1.1 Scope
(2) Reinforcing steel to carbon or low-alloy structural steel.

1.2 Application
1.2.1  This code shall be used in conjunction with the prescribed general building code specifications and is pplicable to all welding of reinforcing steel...  When reinforcing steel is welded to structural steel, the provisions of the latest edition of ANSI/AWS D1.1, structural welding Code Steel shall apply to the structural steel component.

So when fabricating an embed with #8 A706 Gr 60 rebar to an A36 plate using a fillet weld if the Welder has qualified to a prequalified B-U2a WPS is he qualified to weld the rebar to the A36 plate?  Assume qualification was obtained in the 2G Horizontal position.

Which code should be used for Qualification?
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-04-2009 17:07
deckerfaw
The answer here is yes if the WPS is written for the rebar to Plate and the welder qualified AWS D1.1 for 2G.
I don't have AWS D1.4 for reinforcement steel but that is my answer here.
And for your last question Welder Qualification with B-U2a is a joint configuration for SMAW suitable for all positions testing in.
Again I don't have D1.4 and don't know of prequalified status of this. I know that a Prequalified WPS for SMAW 2G can be written from D1.1
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 12-05-2009 01:44
My opinion, no.
  D1.4 should be used, or how will you determine the smallest bar size the welder is qualified for.  At the very least, the welder should qualify on an indirect butt w/macroetch.
That will do for fillet welding qual.  Of course, T-joint or direct butt CJP will qualify for fillet too.  6.3.3.2 
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-05-2009 11:36
Duke
why do you say No?
deckerfaw has said Welder has qualified to a prequalified B-U2a WPS, This is a single bevel groove joint with backing which qualifies the welder for fillet and grooves 1/8" to at least 2 X the thickness and if done on 1" plate qualifies 1/8" to unlimited.
As I said I don't have the D1.4 code but  deckerfaw wrote;
D1.4
1.1 Scope
(2) Reinforcing steel to carbon or low-alloy structural steel.
1.2 Application
1.2.1  This code shall be used in conjunction with the prescribed general building code specifications and is applicable to all welding of reinforcing steel... When reinforcing steel is welded to structural steel, the provisions of the latest edition of ANSI/AWS D1.1, structural welding Code Steel shall apply to the structural steel component.
So you are saying he needs to re-qualify using D1.4?
Marshall
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 12-05-2009 17:47 Edited 12-05-2009 18:04
"the provisions of the latest edition of ANSI/AWS D1.1, structural welding Code Steel shall apply to the structural steel component."
Of course they do.
But the reinforcing steel has its own code, and it also applies.
See the line quoted from D1.1.."shall apply to the 'structural steel' component"
Also from D1.4...
6.1.1.1 "All welding performed to contracts involving ANSI/AWS D1.4 shall utilize written WPSs that meet the requirements of this code"
6.1.3.1  "Welders who perform code work shall be qualified in conformance with 6.3 prior to production welding."
And again, how would the welders qual on a B-U2a joint help in determining the bar size that the welder is qualified to weld?
So, I guess I'm saying that each codes applies to its respective component.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-05-2009 19:26
I wish I had my D1.4 handy, but it isn't, so I'll offer my opinion based on my experience for what it is worth.

Rebar has its own code because it typically has a higher carbon equivalency than most structural steels, thus the welding requirements are somewhat different. One of the major differences is that all the welding procedures have to be qualified when working with D1.4, i.e., the concept of prequalification does not apply to rebar.

The weld between rebar and structural steel would be addressed by D1.4 in consideration of rebar and its limited weldability. The welding procedure would have to be qualified to ensure there is a match between the filler metal and the rebar as well as between the weld and the structural steel component. Testing consist of tensile tests and macroetches, no bend testing is required.

Likewise the welder would be qualified for rebar in accordance with D1.4 rather than D1.1. The joint type would replicate the actual welded component, i.e., the welder would weld a grooved joint if a groove is used in production or he would weld a flare bevel lap joint if that is what is used in production.

A welder qualified to D1.1 is not qualified to weld per D1.4.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-05-2009 21:13
Duke
Thank You
Marshall
Parent - By waynekoe (**) Date 12-05-2009 20:40
deckerfaw. as I understand the code, you are correct in the governing code. section 1.1(2) settles that issue. In section 6.1.2.1, it says that fillet welds are considered pre qualified and not subject to the testing requirements of that section. But, the other requirements for welding rods, such as preheat and stuff will need to be adhered to. Welder qualification is pretty basic. To keep it official, any welder certed in D1.4 stick, with a 2F or better can weld it up, (oops, I mean horizontal) You'll have to settle the filler metal strength brewhaha, which to use, 7018 or 8018, and you'll be good to go.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualification A706 to A36 is it D1.1 or D1.4