Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Finding AWS certification in Lexington KY
- - By 4130 Date 12-05-2009 20:54
Contacted AWS and they said they don't have an accurate database of who can certify me in my area, Lexington KY.  Can anyone give me advice on how I can locate someone around here who can get this done for me?

As always, all helps appreciated.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-05-2009 21:09
Welcome to the forum.
You might get a better answer if you relinquished more information.
What type of certification you looking for.........
Anyway Welcome and Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By 4130 Date 12-05-2009 21:44
Thanks bud you're right.  I'm just looking for 3G & 4G MIG cert on 3/8 plate.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-05-2009 22:30 Edited 12-05-2009 22:34

Welcome.

Now, you could still provide more info.  Will this be run as GMAW Short Circuit, Pulse, or Spray Arc?  Is this for you personally or for a company?  What types of materials are you generally welding?  I ask these because you may actually need to test to D1.3 and not D1.1 though you have not told us if you are looking for certification to a particular code or just want to prove your skills with GMAW.  That would be with thinner plate than 3/8".  What size wire are you using?  Which shielding gas mixture are you using?

Which ever mode you choose, the test you suggest you need will not be pre-qualified.  I believe I have stated this correctly, not able to double check code books right now.  So, the test would need to be to a PQR which will have to be a more extensive test to run and process.  It will need several lab tests performed as well as the usual bends.  This will make it more expensive and time consuming.

Now, as to your actual question, you should be able to do a search on the internet for welding inspectors, inspections, or CWI's.  You should get several results to your search.  If you enter the local area with the subject you should get people close by who are qualified to perform this testing for you.  You could also look in the Yellow Pages under 'Inspections'.  Any local labs or individuals should be listed there.  Sometimes under 'Welding'.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-06-2009 15:35
Most testing labs with a CWI or a SCWI on staff should be able to certify you. However, you need to be very specific with your request and the information you provide them in order to get the performance test you need.

You should provide the lab with the following information, etc.:

1. The applicable code, i.e., AWS D1.1, AWS D1.5, AWS D17.1, ASME Section IX, API 1104, etc.
2. The welding process. It would be nice to use the proper terminology, i.e., Shielded Metal Arc Welding, Gas Metal Arc Welding (and transfer mode: short circuiting, globular, spray, or pulsed spray), Gas Tungsten Arc Welding, etc.
3. Base Metal, i.e., carbon steel, high strength low alloy steel, austenitic stainless steel, aluminum, etc. and the specific alloy type: A36, A572 Gr 50, 6061-T6, 304 SS, etc.
4. Product Form, i.e., plate or pipe
5. Thickness and diameter (if welding pipe)
6. Position
7. You should provide them with a Welding Procedure Specification (if you have one). All welding standards require the welder to follow a WPS when testing. Some welding codes require the WPS to be qualified by testing (example: ASME Section IX).
8. Provide your own material with proper identification, i.e., material test report are great if you have a copy.
9. Provide your own welding machine and filler metal so you don't have to work with a machine you are unfamiliar with and electrodes you don't prefer.

The more you know about the test you want, the more likely you will be satisfied with the paperwork the lab generates.

Different codes have different requirements. Likewise, different employers or customers work to different codes. There is no one welding test that covers all the welding codes and standards used by different industries.

Most of my time on the telephone with new clients is spent finding out what they really need. It is amazing how many clients don't know what they need or want. I've had companies tell me they want their welders to be qualified for everything. I tell them they don't have the money and I don't have enough years of life in me to accomplish that goal, so let's narrow the scope a little.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Finding AWS certification in Lexington KY