Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / oxy bottles up? (locked)
- - By griffen (*) Date 12-06-2009 07:17
Anbody ever had to stand up their oxy bottles on their welding rigs?
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-06-2009 11:39
griffen
I replied on shop talk also but OSHA does, 1926.350(a)(4)

When cylinders are transported by powered vehicles, they shall be secured in a vertical position.

Marshall
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 12-07-2009 17:10
Griffen

The DOT regulations, Title 49 USC, require that the Oxygen (Compressed Gas Cylinders in general) and the Acetylene cylinders be transported in the upright position, and be secured to the vehicle, in such a manner that they do not move and cannot be wiggled by the DOT or Motor Carrier Safety Inspector.  Caps are usually required, unless the bottles are secured in a cabinet that has been constructed with the proper amount of ventilation at the bottom.

I have seen many pictures of Rigs on this Forum, many supposedly made by professional body builders, that are in violation of the Federal Statutes, yet no one seems to be getting sued, and no one on the Forum ever complains about getting any tickets for improperly stored cylinders.  Don't try it in New York!  The fines here for even a first offense, could be called "confiscatory"!   A second offense makes the action a "Willful" offense, and the fines are "Draconian"!

Joe Kane
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-08-2009 02:32
I don't know the title or chapter to find the dot regs for bottles and I'm not going to read all of title 49.  So I'll just take your word that it's in there.  But I personally have never had a dot or state trooper etc. say anything about my cylinders as long as they were secure and located lower than the cab of the truck.   I almost never take the gauges off (no cabinet) and I have two cylinders that lay down.

All the things I read on this forum about New York make me never want to visit.  The saftey police are out of control up there! 
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-10-2009 00:56 Edited 12-10-2009 00:58
What state are you in where the safety regs are so lax?  Have you ever SEEN an O2 bottle let loose during a motor vehicle accident?    You drive with Gauges ON?  We can't even leave the shop for the weekend with gauges on! By the way, OSHA regs are not particular to a state, they are nationwide.  Even where you and your death rig are operating.   It's people like you who cause accidents that get people killed.  We have a word for people like you..........cavemen.  Stay out of my state Redneck.  I'm tired of reading about people like you getting people like ME killed.  Did you see the Texas chemical plant explosion on the news today?  There seem to be lots of those things happening down your way.
Parent - - By preston davis (**) Date 12-10-2009 01:44
just about every truck in oklahoma has the bottles layin down and the regulators on, does that make it right? no, but maybe, just maybe you ought to keep your little smart a$$ comments to your self. not eveyone has the money to build an osha certified rig.
Parent - - By griffen (*) Date 12-10-2009 05:01
My oxy bottles are laying down and probably 90 percent of Texas rigs are. I might stand'em up on my next truck. I just don't like the blind spots it usually causes.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-13-2009 04:31
It's guys like you who cause explosions I hear about at refineries and chemical plants in Texas.  It's a never ending cycle in your state.  Over and over and over and over again.........Texas oil refinery fire, chemical plant explosion (just this WEEK), etc.  I'll say it again.  If I ever see a DEATH rig like yours driving down the road with gauges ON, O2 bottles laying DOWN or any other Texas death truck rig practices, I'll call OSHA and the DOT in a second.  I have the numbers in my cell phone.  Have a nice day.  
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-13-2009 07:03
And all those explosions in texas were from bottles being transported horizontally?    I have never heard of an explosion caused from a oxygen bottle that was secured in the horizontal position on a welders truck.  If you see a "death rig" going down the road call who ever you like,  osha doesn't have any authority on vehicles going down the highway.  If the bottles are secure no d.o.t. officer if going to say anything.

I worked construction for seven years we travelled many states put up a number of buildings, commercial, goverment, hotels, even one on a goverment disposal landfill.  I have never seen osha or an osha official on any job site! ever!  They only show up after the fact or if two contractors are having a pissing match.   Never ran into any osha in the oilfield either.

Like I said the saftey police must be out of control in zoo york if they got nothing better to do tha harass welders about bottles.  I have seen nothing on this forum or anywhere else that proves it is more dangerous to transport bottles laying down versus the vertical position.

I also have never heard of a welder getting a fine from osha for bottles laying down.

So yes we all know now what osha "says".. I will still be transporting mine horizontally with the gauges on.  So unless you have some proof that the bullet proof magical caps that come with the bottles will save some ones life (while the bottles are secured on my truck).  Or some evidence that a bottle "secured" on a truck in a horizontal position has killed some one on a U.S. highway.. Than shut up!

It's amazing that a guy who doesn't even know what a quality monitor cost is such an expert on bottles.  Isn't osha a tombstone, whistle blower?   You must be one nervous guy your scared of air compressors, bottles, lead paint, propane tanks.

And all this wealth of wisdom comes from a geniuos who doesn't wear a respirator when he's cutting galvanized steel.   I'm sure you'll make a great cwi cause this welding gig ain't for you buddy.   Listen to you cry about unfair wages, labor, union, blah bla bla.  There is no crying in welding,   I'll say it again if you don't have any actual facts to back up the saftey issues you complain about than shut up and quit running people down.  Osha has a lot of rules that they don't enforce (other than in your state) I've worked with the cor of engineers and they are a lot more strict than osha and all those trucks had bottles laying down as long as they were secure they were not an issue.

Hope you have a wonderful day
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-13-2009 15:23
low_hydrogen,
  Lets see a picture of your rig please. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-15-2009 01:15
I've seen guys DIE on jobs Hillbilly!  Yes, they were union and YES they were from YOUR AREA and yes they worked like YOU DO!   I'm tired of watching people get maimed and KILLED on the job by people like YOU. I'm tired of watching 50 year old guys DIE horrible deaths from ASBESTOS because they were too IGNORANT to wear a respirator.  I want people like YOU and your redneck ILK to leave the trade before you get people like ME killed.  I've seen the body bags being dragged out of confined spaces. REAL jobs with safety protocol in place and they died anyway because rednecks didn't care. Death on the job may just make you shrug your redneck shoulders.  That's the redneck way.  It's not mine.  Have a nice day and I will make it a point to call the NYS Police every single time I see a Texas or OK tagged welding rig in NY thanks to you.
Parent - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-15-2009 01:32
You keep talking s hit,   but you have yet to show me anything that proves that a "secure" bottle in the horizontal position is more dangerous than one that is vertical.

Like I said I'm well aware of what osha states, but have yet to see anything that say why it's more dangerous.   It is either "secure" or it's not! 

The bottle is not going to come off my truck no way possible.  What is your problem?  if it's "SECURE"  what is the issue please enlighten me other than stating osha says

And no one has every died on any job I've ever been on! period!

I don't work for phony f'ing outfits, and please state some facts about all these horrible deaths in my state cause when I see the news it's all about cranes and sub par work killing people in your state.  Were you one of the real welders that built that crane?
Parent - - By griffen (*) Date 12-13-2009 15:25
Man what kind of freak are you? I'm not driven a death rig and if you do see my TEXAS MONEY MAKER on the road just get out of my way and go back to that shop you hang out at, get the real welders a Dr.Pepper, string out their leads, grind a bead, buff some slag, armor all some tires, but don't come to the south wanting to call osha on bottles lying down cause you won't have enough minutes on your little cell phone plan. Have a nice day. OR NOT. I don't really care.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-13-2009 16:17
Griffen,
  Lets see a picture of your "TEXAS MONEY MAKER". :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-10-2009 05:13
Maybe people in your state are ****ty drivers?  I'm in oklahoma been in every surronding state and then some.  You don't need to educate me on osha I'm well aware of what the saftey police have to say on most things.  I was asking for the chapter that specifically spoke about the dot regs.  You call me by any thing but, my name and I'll be in your state on your front door, I got nothing but money and time buddy.

My bottles are more secure than most and are not going to take off  in an accident. The caps don't provide any more saftey than the gauges.  I've seen bottles hit the higway (not mine ) with caps on and bust the cap and neck off and shoot across the highway.  Saw one hit a gas pump at the local ampride.  I watched my grandad knock the valve off a bottle that was on fire to release all the gas to avoid an explosion in his shop when I was a kid. I doubt you can educate me on anything welding related

Whats to say bottles standing up won't be thrown out in a roll over? They are no safer standing up versus laying down.  They are either secure or they are not period!

The d.o.t told me that as long as the bottles were below the cab of the truck and secure you were legal to go down the highway

If you have anymore smart ass comments to add please include your address so I can put it in my garmin and drive my death rig up your ass
Otherwise stay home and off the big scary highways and pound sand
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-15-2009 00:45 Edited 12-15-2009 01:25
I'll make a deal with you Hillbilly.  YOU post YOUR name and license plate number of your highway DEATH RIG and I'll send you my address for your Garmin. That "THING" you call a welding rig is a disgrace!  You should be behind bars before you get someone killed.

Do you store your acetylene bottles the same way as your Oxygen? Laying flat on the bed of your hillbilly DEATH RIG?  Please tell me yes.  I need a good laugh!  Please tell me more stories on how your grandpa put out a burning acetylene bottle fire.  Awesome display of redneck stupidity!  Most REAL welders have never seen an acetylene bottle fire. That's because we actually know how to use them safely. 

It's guys like YOU who are killing our trade.
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-15-2009 01:18
The pics with the license plate are in the pics above.  Run the plate you'll have all you need, now post your address tough guy?  

If it's guys like me killing the trade why have I never been out of work while you cry on here about getting laid off again cause you don't have the balls to address personal saftey issues with a forman.   It's a lot easier to to talk tough on the computer than to man to some one face to face huh?   I doubt you ever have seen a fire you have never been a real welder and the fire was started by someone on a forklift while they all ran, like you would, us real welders took care of the situation.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-15-2009 01:29
Thanks .  Got it. 
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-15-2009 01:36
Lets see some pic of your rig?   I wanna see what a real rig looks like!
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 12-15-2009 02:55
I don't have a rig.  I live like a human.  Not some traveling gypsy, shot of whiskey for lunch, crack smoking, buy a prostitute and get out of town fast before the law catches up with you bum.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-15-2009 01:40
I get it now.  Native American Okie plates.  Sovereign nation!  No laws of the USA apply?  Run back to the rez and ignore the feds/tickets/fines/lawsuits etc.  I understand now.  Thanks for posting.  It's all good.  Onieda/tuscarora/onieda/cayuga/mohawk/senecas    The Six Nations.  Peace brother........just fix that rig and don't kill anyone on the road. 
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-15-2009 01:44
Enlighten me!  Why is it more dangerous to have a "secured" bottle in the horizontal versus the vertical?
Your a great s hit talker but still no anwser????
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-15-2009 01:55
Ok, I'll send your plate number and photos to the DOT and ask for an opinion on your rig.  Your question has been answered on the top of this forum.  I suggest you go back and read it as there are several new posts there.  I  tried to patch things ups but you are a redneck and rednecks only understand one thing...........have a nice day
Parent - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-15-2009 02:14
I don't need an opion from the dot in your state but thanks. My question has not been anwsered any where in this forum.  I know what osha and now what the dot regs say.  What I don't see is anyone stating why it's more dangerous to transport in horizontal position if the bottle is "secured". 

Of course if it's not "secure" it's not safe in any position period!  Also the caps provide very little protection to the valve.  I don't move loose bottles around without caps but if it's secured on my truck and I'm running in between jobsites I'm not gonna put the caps on. The way my bottles are tucked in and secured to the truck even in the event of a accident my bottles are not leaving the truck.

I am well aware of all the horror stories related to my trade.  I am unaware of anyone killed by a bottle that was "secured" to a welding rig!

I also saw no post were you tried to patch things up? and I'm still waiting for you to post that address?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-10-2009 15:54 Edited 12-10-2009 16:03
Griffen,
  After contacting several people about this, this is what I have found. First I will give the links and then a brief breakdown in layman's terms.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/about/contact  Dialed their toll free #1-800-467-4922 and used option #1.

I was told to reference this document.

http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/49CFR/Docs/wcd00009/wcd00928.asp

And here is the link to the OSHA regulation.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=10696&p_table=STANDARDS

The gentleman I spoke with at the US DOT Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) advised that one can transport them in the vertical or horizontal position as long as they are properly secured and capped. Even if it stated vertical only the materials of trade exceptions exempt one from that.

Here is the kicker though. You can indeed transport them down the highway in the horizontal position and OSHA has no jurisdiction over that but as soon as you pull on to a job site they now have jurisdiction and they must be secured in the vertical position per 1926.350(a)(4).

It sounds to me as if one would be wise to avoid the possibility of OSHA fines by setting up to transport and use in the vertical position. Some companies may not adhere to OSHA regulations as they should, but others do. Personally I would set up vertically to avoid all the hassle. 

Now I will add that all of the people I spoke with, which is a lot more than I have posted here, advised that even though it is not against the regulations it is wise to transport and use in the vertical position. As a matter of fact one person from OK DOT as well as another from US DOT PHMSA went so far as to use the words "stupid", "inadvisable" and "ignorant" when referring to transporting in the horizontal position and I tend to agree with them. 

jrw159
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-10-2009 17:26
Well said John!

As soon as you pull into a jobsite is when OSHA resumes jurisdiction, so if your tanks are in the horizontal position once you pull in to the site, they can fine you! Regradless what the state DOT may, or may not allow you to do with respect to the manner in which one may transport the tanks during transit...

IMHO, the best way to avoid any type of grief from whomever is to secure the tanks on your rig in the vertical position always, then you never have to worry as to whether or not you're still in compliance, or not - regardless of where your rig is located, and which governing body such as OSHA, or DOT has jurisdiction, because I would think that it would be quite the hassle to constantly be vigilant as well as to remember to shift the tanks to their appropriate positions depending where your rig is located just so that you can avoid being fined at all!!! ;-) I mean, it would be a heck of a lot easier for you to just secure them in the vertical position always ,and just sue whatever you need to in assisting you to eliminate the potential blind spot that it may or may not create which shouldn't be too difficult to do. ;-)

No need for everybody to get all so darn hostile at each other over this!!! I mean C'mon Guys!!! We're supposed to be supporting each other in here! Not looking to start tearing each others heads off their necks and ****ing down each other's bodies just because we may disagree with each other on how to solve problems or in helping each other out for crying out loud!!! I'm not saying that I'm completely innocent in here either, but we all need to chill out a bit on each other in here because the administrators and moderators are at their wits end, and are really starting to lose their patience which they have shown towards us many times already...

So, let's all at the very least, try our best to help make their lives just a little bit easier by showing a bit more mutual respect towards each other as part of a new years resolution that we can start practicing on each other effective immediately!!! What do you say guys??? Let's work together to stop all this bickering that become too regular in here altely... I know one thing is for sure!!! I'm going to do my level best to do my share in helping to achieve that goal before the new year even starts...

So please join this bandwagon and help out as well to achieve this mutual goal of making sure that we all keep our conversations in here at least, as civil as we possibly can because after all, the OTB&G is where we can settle our differences if the need should arise - CAPECHE??? and remember that even when we're in there, we need to have a sense of civility as well, but while we're in here, we need to keep our attitudes in the rated "G" format and occasionally in the "PG" format as well, or else the Moderator will not be a happy camper, and that will not be good for any of us especially if the administrator gets fed up as well!!! ;-)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-10-2009 23:41
Very well put both John and Henry.

John, thank you for your time in collecting all that diverse information.  I'm sure some states regs could vary slightly, but, overall most all are going to have regs that line up with US DOT very closely.  And once again, no matter how many people are or have done something, and no matter how long they have been doing it, does not make it 'RIGHT' or 'SAFE'.  No matter how much we disagree with gov't intrusion in whatever agency and form there are often reasons for the regs they establish.  Even if it only saves 1 accident or death out of 1000, they thought it was worth it.  Especially if it were my life they saved, I guess I would think so too. 

Now you have some pretty good info provided by some who cared enough to get the low down.  Do what YOU think is best for YOU.  I know how mine will be.

And thank you Henry for the olive branch reminder.  We need to be prodded from time to time to state OPINIONS AND FACTS WITHOUT ATTACKS.  Give one another room for their own opinions even when they go against the facts presented.  We all need time occassionally to digest new info and change practices that were taught us in years past.  Old dogs learn new tricks more slowly, sometimes, than young dogs.  I hope I am normally able to agree to disagree on many issues.  Make up your own mind after you study the facts and let others do the same.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-15-2009 01:01
The OSHA regs says "caps shall be in place".  these rednecks drive around with gauges on all the time.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-15-2009 02:07
"I get it now.  Native American Okie plates.  Sovereign nation!  No laws of the USA apply?  Run back to the rez and ignore the feds/tickets/fines/lawsuits etc.  I understand now.  Thanks for posting.  It's all good. "
Are you implying that the Native American peoples of this country are somehow less law abiding than say someone like yourself due to being Native American?

"these rednecks drive around with gauges on all the time"
Seems to be you have a stereotyping problem with people from the south as well. I have a fix for that one, you stay in ny since it offends you so.

If you ever wish to discuss the Native Peoples lack of ability to obey the law, or just what a redneck is in person, I'd be more than happy to oblige you with a neutral address to do so. Let me know.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-15-2009 02:46 Edited 12-15-2009 02:48
Nice edit CWI555.  You left out the part where I talked about the Six Nations in NY.  Did you ever think what that meant?  Maybe I AM a member of the Six Nations?  The Six Nations are NATIVE AMERICAN!  As far as the South goes and safety?  YOU BET I have  a problem with it!  you guys work with no regards to safety and the death toll down there compared to the north proves it!  Texas oil and chem plants seem to burn or explode every couple of weeks.  I hate seeing you hicks up here spitting you 'chaw' juice all over the job site, all dirty and missing teeth, looking like crap and smelling even worse.  Then the illegal guns come out when you get drunk at the bar. You come in to work all F-ed up and hung over still spitting your "chaw" juice all over the areas everyone is working in.  Then the safety issues.  "Hey Mr Hillbilly, you have to wear safety glasses".  "I don't need no safety glasses----spit" .  Eye injury by lunch requiring a hospital visit to dig it out.  Contractor screaming about all the hicks getting hurt saying they are going to toss us all out if they ever come back.  You know what we have to do then?  We hire CANADIANS instead of you guys.  Sorry if the truth hurts.  Have a nice holiday and please don't get anyone killed before the New Year.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-15-2009 04:02 Edited 12-15-2009 04:18
Yo awspartb!

You are really out of line stereotyping everyone that is not from where you come form the way you do!!! I'm from New York City, and I'm ashamed that some ignorant racist like you would automatcially ass u me that everyone form the South, or Texas is the way you describe, because it simply is not the case, and I'm really offended that you think that New York State has the best safety record in this country, because in fact, nothing could be further from that being a fact!!! You need to learn some social skills because you totally lack them in here - CAPECHE???

Now if I were you, I would apologize to everyone in here that you offended, and in the future, if you want to express your disapproval towards anyone in here, do it via the Personal Message option that you have at your disposal!!!

You come to Pittsburgh talking crap like that and you'll end up having your new residence in a slag pile next to a new development being built in just outside the city next to a tunnel going through a mountain that's part of an interstate - CAPECHE??? I won't do it because I'll just shoot you instead and get it over with because I'm too old to fight anymore, but you better believe I'll leave a tight four round group right between your brows with that kind of BS talking crap!!! That you can take to the BANK!

Why don't you just apologize to the folks who you offended and attacked for no reason at all except that you obviously get your jollies off by writing crap in here and acting like God appointed you to be the one who knows all and is totally infallible because, if that what you're thinking, then you need to be taught an attitude adjustment lesson, because you're no better than anyone else in here and that's a fact!!!

Coming in here picking a fight with someone you don't even know, and then continuing to push the fight with Low Hydrogen even when he tried to act civil towards you and you instead become even more hostile towards him??? What do you expect the man to do??? Then you offend everyone who's even related to a Native American which includes myself!!! If you were truly a Native, you wouldn't even imply what you did!

Look! If you want to come looking for a fight in here, I suggest that you go somewhere else because I'm getting tired of people like yourself not showing one atom's worth of respect towards anyone else in here - CAPECHE??? Show some RESPECT, and more than likely you get it back!!! Come in here like an @$$ Hole and you will be treated as such!!!

You want to report someone like the way you threatened to do so in an earlier post, okay then I'll just report your dumb post to the Moderator and the Administrator so you can see how that feels!!! Unless that is, You apologize to Low Hydrogen, and CWI555 for your nasty and unacceptable attitude in here - CAPECHE???

Henry
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-15-2009 04:09
Come on now, you guys need to ease up on poor old awspartner.
It's become painfully obvious that his wife has recently run off and left him for a welder driving a rig with Oakie plates and a can of Skoal in the pocket of his nicely starched khaki shirt.
That must really hurt.
Carry on.

JTMcC, spit : )
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-15-2009 04:23
<<You come to Pittsburgh talking crap like that and you'll end up having your new residence in a slag pile next to a new development being built in just outside the city next to a tunnel going through a mountain that's part of an interstate - CAPECHE??? I won't do it because I'll just shoot you instead and get it over with because I'm too old to fight anymore, but you better believe I'll leave a tight four round group right between your brows with that kind of BS talking crap!!! That you can take to the BANK!>>

Henry,
Threatening to KILL someone on the internet with a firearm is a FEDERAL CRIME.  Capeche?
You're not too old for prison.  I take you at your word.   Have a nice day.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-15-2009 04:39 Edited 12-15-2009 05:10
I never threatened you dim wit! I was just stating a fact as to what would happen if you came here talking crap like you do!!! And now that I've got your attention smart arse! Have you ever had a Rig before??? And why is it that you think you can just come in here and start with whoever all because you don't agree with how they do things??? Please tell me how you are so qualified to be so much so superior that you think it's your god given right to start crap like you did in here way before I finally got your attention even though I wrote a previous post asking nicely for all of you folks to be nice in here which you obviously ignored completely since you came back and attacked Low Hydrogen some more!!!!

Just the Facts!!! No BS!!! I just state the facts!!! No THREAT!!! UNLESS YOU FEEL THREATENED??? IF YOU DO? THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS AVOID ACTING LIKE THE FOOL THAT YOU ARE!!! AND AVOID TALKING CRAP REGARDLESS WHERE YOU TRAVEL AND YOU JUST MAY STAY ALIVE BY KEEPING YOUR DISRESPECTFUL OPINIONS TO YOURSELF!!! CAPECHE???

NOW GO CRAWL BACK INTO THE HOLE YOU CAME OUT OF BECAUSE YOU REMIND ME OF A COCKAROACH!!! :) :) :) ROTFLMFAOAAA!!! :) :) :)

Henry
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-15-2009 04:48 Edited 12-15-2009 05:08
You don't even know how to interpret the law dim witt!!! You come to Pittsburgh and Start talking that crap with me is grounds for me to defend myself from someone like you dummy!!! Resulting in Self DEFENSE!!! CAPECHE??? GET some new glasses because you cannot even understand what you're reading anymore!!!
Parent - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-15-2009 04:59
now your starting crap with henry?  after he offered you a way out?   your a real piece of work buddy  go ahead and piss everybody in here off that will get you real far...I'm sure people will be jumping all over themselves to help you next time you have a welding related question......good luck hope you can get in on another forum cause the  two guys you just tried to step on are a couple of the most knowledgeable guys in here?

Just for the record I understand the horizontal versus vertical issue and can understand that it's more likely an unsecure bottle will get away from someone in the horizontal position.  I was curious if there was any data out there supporting this thereoy or if the laws were just based on someones opinion.   I think the real issue should be how secure your bottles are more than what position you transport them in.

Then it spiraled into this everyone in the southern state are dumb rednecks killing each other because we were not following osha standards about transporting bottles horizontally when most of us had never even heard of this, or at least I hadn't. Which is why I frequent this forum to gain more knowledge, not to listen to someone make iggnorant statemants and desrespect members who have a wealth of knowledge that they share for free I might add to people they don't even know and what do they get in return some idiot threating them with federal crimes and name calling.  It's a wonder the aws even keeps this forum open?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-15-2009 06:16 Edited 12-15-2009 06:29
By awspartb (**) Date 12-14-2009 20:45 Edited 12-14-2009 21:25 Rating 1 (*)

"I'll make a deal with you Hillbilly.  YOU post YOUR name and license plate number of your highway DEATH RIG and I'll send you my address for your Garmin. That "THING" you call a welding rig is a disgrace!  You should be behind bars before you get someone killed.

Do you store your acetylene bottles the same way as your Oxygen? Laying flat on the bed of your hillbilly DEATH RIG?  Please tell me yes.  I need a good laugh!  Please tell me more stories on how your grandpa put out a burning acetylene bottle fire.  Awesome display of redneck stupidity!"

This is you starting crap with Low Hydrogen and in fact, instigating him to come see you by promising him to post your address so he could locate you with his GPS navigator, but you're not not looking to escalate the argument -Oh No!!! So instead you dish this excrement out towards Low-Hydrogen not expecting his response telling you that the license plate is already shown in the picture and all you need to do is a DMV check and you'll have whatever info you need on Low-Hydrogen...

Nah You're not looking to start crap with Low-Hydrogen, you just blatantly  dished out crap the blew right back in your face which is exactly what happened to you when you started to sling crap at CWI555, and that's when I stepped back in because you obviously couldn't understand what I wrote in my previous post... So I decided to get your attention by stating some facts of what would happen if you came to Pittsburgh and started hurling the excrement that you have been slinging at just about everybody in here who is either a Southerner, a Texan, or a Native American with your crap about feeling superior to everyone else because you just happen to live in the State of New York??? Give me a Friggin BREAK!!!

I was born and raised in that State, and I'll tell you right now that you certainly do not write like someone from the State of New York, that is unless you work for Hillary, and you have the audacity to call yourself a Boilermaker too??? You must mean that you're Boilerfaker, and couldn't last five minutes in my crew crybaby!!! We'd end up turning you into a Yo-Yo inside the Boiler or putting you inside one of the cyclones just to have some fun with you, or better yet -sticking your arse in one of the really tight spots where the super-heater tubes are located up top and closing you in there for about an hour while you cry "MOMMY!!!"!!! I mean, who in their right mind would be so worried about losing their job because of complaining about air quality??? Where the heck is your shop steward bone head???Why Don't you request a full face respirator which you can do if you feel that the fumes are too much for you in case you're wondering!!! Are you Common Arc Qualified??? If you were and are an authentic Journeyman Boilermaker, you would know this POSER!!! A REAL BOILERMAKER DOESN'T CRY TO HIS MOMMY LIKE YOU DO!!!

A REAL BOILERMAKER WOULD KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! But, you want to buy your own meter which will really get you points with your BA and Steward!!! Real SMART ON YOUR PART AS THEY TELL YOU TO DRAG UP ON WALK ON DOWN THE ROAD!!! "MY METER SAYS IT'S UNSAFE I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR METER SAYS!!!" And your supervisor, Shop Steward and BA replies: "GET THE FU@K OFF THIS JOB NOW!!!" THEN YOU'LL SEE HOW MUCH OF A SMART ASS YOU'LL FEEL LIKE WHEN YOUR STUNT BACKFIRES RIGHT BACK INTO YOUR FACE LIKE A STRAIGHT UPPER CUT!!! ROTFLMFAOAAA!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Then you try to twist what I posted into being interpreted as being a threat to you also??? I mean, you must be afraid of your own reflection or shadow!!! You remind me of the little kid who cried Wolf too many times, and when the real Wolf finally did show up, Nobody in the village paid attention to your cries anymore, and you inevitably were eaten by the Wolf!!! Do us all a favor and GROW THE BLANK UP!!! So much for someone who claims to know everything there is to know about safety when you can't even handle a simple situation on the job!!! Yeah, REAL MATURE BOILERFAKER!!! ONCE AGAIN IT'S A CASE OF "DO WHAT I SAY BUT NOT AS I DO!!! TOO FRIGGIN PATHETIC!!!

Henry A REAL BOILERMAKER SINCE 1975!!!
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 12-15-2009 12:02
<<I'll leave a tight four round group right between your brows with that kind of BS talking crap!!! That you can take to the BANK!>>

Posts saved.  Threatening someone with a firearm on the internet is a federal crime.  A real boilermaker like you should be no stranger to prison.
Parent - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-15-2009 04:09
Wow more words of wisdom!  still no address?

This redneck has all his teeth.  Don't drink, Haven't been on the road in over a year,  not because i can't because I don't want or have to.  No one has ever laid me off or fired me over saftey or perfomance issues.  I work for my self because I'm better at this than people like you. My glock is licensed to me and my concealed weapons license is up to date pretty much wear my hellraiser saftey glasses every were all day long.  Seems since you don't have an educated anwser so, you've resorted to name calling and it's people like YOU that are killing this forum!   You keep attacking people like CWI555 and calling people names we will have to put you in our special group!

and as far as saftey goes looks like??? 

The construction industry in New York City continues to rank among the most dangerous jobs in the city. Falls at worksites accounted for 25 deaths in 2008, which is an increase from 21 in the prior year. In 2008, nine workers were fatally injured by being caught inside or crushed by collapsing materials, six others were killed by fire, and four more died from contact with electrical current. There were no reported fatalities of these types recorded in 2007. The New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health (NYCOSH), a non-profit workers rights organization, claimed the number of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) http://www.osha.gov/ inspectors assigned to the state of New York is hardly enough to ensure the protection of construction workers, stating the government agency had fewer OSHA inspectors in New York in 2007 than in 2001.

The national trend proved to be quite the opposite; on the whole the national total dropped from 5,567 fatalities in 2007 to 5,071 fatalities in 2008. Fatal falls to a lower level decreased by more than 20 percent from 746 to 576 from 2007-2008. This was the lowest preliminary annual total recorded since the census of workplace deaths were begun in 1992.

http://news.topwirenews.com/2009/11/04/Construction-Accident-Deaths-in-New-York-City-Rise-in-2008_200911043755.html

Seems like your state is no safer than any other state?  still waiting on that address......
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 12-15-2009 08:21
A couple of AWS publications that deal with the use of compressed gas bottles (both are free from AWS) are the following:
http://files.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-30.pdf;
and ANSI Z49.1.  Z49.1 refers back to local DOT rules for transport.
Regards,
Mankenberg
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / oxy bottles up? (locked)